Benjamin Geer on Fri, 21 May 2004 11:25:29 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Negri with Ballestrini to Battisti and on amnesty

Aliette Guibert wrote:
> Finally, Toni Negri in the French newspaper "Liberation" today, in the
> column "Bounces": on Battisti and Italian refugees in France, release in
> the question of the general amnesty of leftists in Italy.

The interesting thing about this article is that, while it says a lot
about Italy in the 70s, it says absolutely nothing about Cesare
Battisti, nor about the specific crimes that Battisti committed, nor
about the injustice done to Battisti's victims.  Its main implied
argument seems that two wrongs make a right: since (if we accept Negri's
version of history) there was a civil war going on between the State and
the revolutionary left, it was somehow OK to kill random civilians who
were in no way representatives of the state.

None of the pro-Battisti articles I've seen mention Battisti's victims
at all.  Justice for Battisti?  Fine.  But justice for his victims, too.

Ben