nettime's_circle_jerk on Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:51:53 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> READYOURSELF digest [butt, afonso, guderian, lacook]

Re: <nettime> what would be nettime's reading list?
     Danny Butt <db@dannybutt.net>
     Miguel Afonso Caetano <mafonsocaetano@mail.telepac.pt>
     Carl Guderian <carlg@vermilion-sands.com>
     Lewis LaCook <llacook@yahoo.com>

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:38:31 +1100
Subject: Re: <nettime> what would be nettime's reading list?
From: Danny Butt <db@dannybutt.net>

Getting past my natural antipathy to anything using the term "politically
correct", the point of this excellent question from my pov is exactly that
mailing lists are terrible places to gain consensus, but are very good
places to integrate a range of different viewpoints (as anyone who tries to
manage virtual organisations knows). So the nettime list is never going to
be authoritative, though it will be fun. Though I think it would be best
done in a "voting" style situation where we could sample the *amount* of
support for particular texts, which would give a better impression of the
overall tone of nettime, rather than just noting that particular texts have
been noted.

In asking for a list I note Geert is perhaps making one of his few
concessions to currently fashionable commercial genres of journalism :)...
perhaps we can start a weekly pop psychology quiz as well, I'd be keen to
see what kind of psychometric testing the nettime community could come up
with.

First and foremost, a nettime list should be anti-foundational, in that it
should include significant works which have not yet been relegated to being
"important for their underpinning of following work". That's probably a
pedagogical philosophy around new media as much as anything. It's better to
understand now, because understanding now will necessarily implicate the
past (particularly in my list :7), whereas the converse is not necessarily
true. That said, anything which sounded hostile or ignorant toward feminist
theory, anti-colonial movements or 70s cultural studies would be lucky to be
retained (even though that's true of much of nettime, I think that these
things are important for nettime's concerns, if that makes sense)

My nettime list - as opposed to lists I might do for other lists - would
probably start with Donna Haraway rather than the bible, and include Stuart
Hall, Eric Michaels, Saskia Sassen, Don Lamberton, and the Sarai readers.
You could branch out to a lot of stuff from there. Derrida and Spivak for a
second course accompanied by plenty of secondary literature. Does the fact
that my list crosses over little with those mentioned make me an outlier on
the bell curve of nettime? I'm looking forward to the results!

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net