Benjamin Geer on Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:29:41 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The State of Networking (with Florian Schneider)

geert lovink wrote:
> After an exciting first phase of introductions and
> debates, networks are put to the test: either they transform into a body
> that is capable to act, or they remain stable on a flatline of information
> exchange, with the occasional reply of an individual who dares to
> disagree.

Maybe this is because those people are using the wrong tools for the
job.  If you don't know what you want to do, you can't select the right
tools.  Rather than set up a network as a tool for 'bringing people
together' or some such vague idea, and then hope that the participants
will then find some way to act, I think it would make more sense to
first decide exactly which action you want to take -- what work you want
to do -- and then decide which tools (software, networks, organisational
processes) could help you do that work.  *Then* set up the tools and
start using them.

Ben