nettime's knitting factory on Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:15:45 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: Notes on Codework [4x]

Table of Contents:

   code and its double
     noemata <noemata@kunst.no>

   Notes on codework [response from John Cayley / Alan Sondheim]
     Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>

   Re: [_arc.hive_] code and its double
     Rick Bradley <rick@rickbradley.com>

   Re: Notes on Codework
     noemata <noemata@kunst.no>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:59:40 +0100
From: noemata <noemata@kunst.no>
Subject: code and its double

code and its double, cont'd
- - notes on text and code from artaud's theater and sondheim's codework
____

the double - you'd have the release of text from text - text is no longer
text - text is text (not text) - textual helix code - like the theater is
theater and not scripted (not text).

power - in the sense that text is logos it has that immense power, being
at the locus. text as theater, as code, would have the potential of
releasing all the logos power, like the theater's release from text.

matter - since all is mattered, texted, coded, you'd have all those
monstruous things going on, ruptures and violence, beauty and intelligence
emerging from its release.

code as theater - artaud's theater's release from text is similar to the
theatrificating of text as code.

code and literature - literature is in the gravitational field of text,
while code is weight-free or anti-gravitating - of the void towards the
periphery.

universal code - autonomy, automata, text, logos, code, instruction, data,
physicality, matter, sense, surface - since all is mattered there is no
context, it's blown to pieces, all you have is virii, dispersal of
meaning, logos as fire and electrical charge in the networks of
distributed contexts.

code as art - codework, artwork - since everything is code codework is at
the center of artwork, which is created by codework's plundering of
contexts - art derives from the workings of code - code derives from its
doubling.

bombs and intelligence - the atomic bomb, from the time of artaud, a
violent theater without text - virii, intelligence, terror, theathrical
artifice of the code - the bomb is the blowing up of text, logos, the sun
as bomb - terror of code, information, the intelligence as monster.

reality - like artaud's theatricity and code's virtuality from their
release from text - the doubling towards the real, logos as fire.