Benjamin Geer on Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:48:59 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Linux strikes back III

Martin Hardie wrote:
> Why can't fsfer's think of law and its organisation in ways other than
> proprietary/closed systems? Why do people who profess to be at the
> cutting edge, pushing Paul Keating's proverbial envelope, feel the need
> to hide behind old ways of thinking about law?

Perhaps copyleft *is* a new way of thinking about law.  Witness the
confusion it's causing in the minds of people like SCO's executives and
their lawyers.

Stallman's position, as I understand it, is that he would have been
happy to use something other than copyright to protect the freedom of
free software, but that as far as he could tell, there was no other way.
  Maybe you could suggest one?

Ben