Francis Hwang on Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:49:02 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Linux strikes back III

IIRC, even when you make a free software project there still exists a
copyright that has rights under traditional I.P. law. A free software
license like the GPL or LGPL is simply an extension of those
traditional exclusive rights granted to you by old-fashioned I.P. law.
Think of it as a radically different sort of shrink-wrap license.

Free software gets confused a lot with public domain, but they're not
the same. If I'm a songwriter I can record a cover of a traditional
folk song in the public domain, and sell it for my own gain, without
having to worry one bit about what it does to my rights over the
recording or my entire album. A programmer cannot include GPL'd code in
the same way.

When the FSF is intervening, it's only in cases where it owns the
copyright for that GPL'd or LGPL'd code. How come it owns the
copyright? Because the programmer gave it to them, figuring that all
this legal stuff is really no fun and that in any case the GPL would be
better at it than him. So this isn't the case of the FSF going
vigilante on something it has no business being involved in. It is
pursuing an action that you could consider to be at the core of its
organizational mission.

The only thing I agreed with in that Forbes article was the line about
this showing the "dark side" of the free software movement. If I were
on the wrong side of the fence I'd call it a dark side, too. Make no
mistake: Richard Stallman is, depending on your point of view, a
visionary, or a fanatic, or a revolutionary. He does not view code
ownership as a matter to be negotiated; he thinks of it as ethically
untenable in the same way that some people think that gays shouldn't
marry, or that you shouldn't eat animals.

Stallman's stature isn't due to his beliefs, which are probably more
extreme than those of most free software programmers. It's because he
was a pioneer who did much to build up the legal and technical
foundations of the movement. He invented the concept and wrote its
first license, the GPL. And he programmed both the 800-pound-Swiss-Army
knife that is the GCC compiler, and the
operating-system-that-thinks-its-a-text-editor Emacs, so even if you
think he's too prone to get into internecine squabbles or that he
should pipe down about calling it "GNU-Linux", he gets more geek points
than you'll ever have.

However, he didn't do much to get free software into the eyes of
corporations. He makes a poor ambassador: He's irascible, eccentric,
and by some accounts he sort of smells. Other ambassadors have stepped
in in the last decade. One is Linus Torvalds himself: By most accounts
the creator of Linux is an absent-minded, friendly programmer boy
genius who's happy to avoid politics if doing so gives him more time to
think about the next kernel.

Another is Eric Raymond, the hacker who wrote "The Cathedral and the
Bazaar". "Cathedral" is more of an economic text than an ideological
one; it's more concerned with how free software is an efficient way to
produce high-quality software than whether such a method might be
morally superior to its alternatives. Raymond was the one who coined
the term "open source", a term that's a little blander and less
terrifying to the boardroom. (I've been involved in more than one
intense discussion about this coinage, and heard more than one
programmer lament the fact that "free" in English means both "with no
cost" and "liberated", whereas the FSF usage of "free" more
significantly corresponds with the second meaning. Ah, the linguistics
of alternative intellectual property schemes.)

But regardless of who makes for better P.R., the fact of the matter is
that Stallman has control over much, much less code than Raymond. The
FSF (and, by proxy, Stallman) owns the copyright over much of what's
essential to Linux. (Which means that Stallman has an okay reason to
ask everybody to call it "GNU-Linux"; but dammit, there are already too
many syllables in my life as it is.)

So today Raymond and Torvalds serve as the non-threatening face of free
software, and execs who aren't paying attention think it's just a way
to get cost-free software without having to actually deal with those
odd programmers. Meanwhile the FSF flexes its legal muscles whenever it
feels it has to. Mixed messages indeed ...

Francis Hwang
http://fhwang.net/