nettime's_sameness_engine on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 07:56:00 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> googological digest [alexander, hwang]

Amy Alexander <plagiari@plagiarist.org>
     Re: <nettime> Google's Weapons of Mass Destruction (fwd)
Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>
     Children of a Lesser Google

Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 15:45:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Amy Alexander <plagiari@plagiarist.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Google's Weapons of Mass Destruction (fwd)

like i always say, "you can't trust google." :-)

there's been a lot of talk about how blogs have influenced google, and at
least one major rumor afloat that google is changing pagerank so as to go
back to being influenced by corporations with money instead of bloggers with
links.
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000751.html

but, google has been known to muck with the results before. for example,
AFAIK, the only page with a perfect pagerank of 10 is www.google.com
itself. beyond that though, there are the legal-inspired manipulations.
there was last year's scientology/xenu.net  fiasco, and their removal of
results from the listings at the behest of german, french, and other
governments. google is also introducing a new "add this website to my
blog" feature in their toolbar, which may have some implications.

i have just blogged a story earlier today on discordia about all that,
the links i mentioned can be found there:
http://www.discordia.us/scoop/story/2003/7/6/151744/2118

in addition, google gets other legal threats all the time:
http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/keyword.cgi?KeywordID=2

i realize that responding to a legal threat isn't the same thing as
manipulating search results for PR... but then again, there seems to be
lots of evidence that they tweak pagerank to their liking periodically.

the thing to remember is that google hide behind pagerank as a neutral
algorithm. no algorithm is neutral; they are written by people with
opinions. results have the bias that humans write them to give.
to bias the results, and thus bias culture, just tweak the
algorithm.

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Keith Sanborn wrote:

> I agree with your characterization of Google and it is not
> impossible. It would certainly be interesting to know whether this
> was engineered behind the scenes to "succeed." It does certainly
> focus more attention on Google and in this case that is translatable
> into profits. However, if it did happen and word got out, it would
> immediately discredit them. One wonders why they'd risk so much when
> they're already at the top of the heap of search engines themselves.
> But then they didn't get there by not taking risks and by not
> innovating in information culture.
>
> Keith
 <...>