Heiko Recktenwald on Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:51:26 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Update: Linux strikes back... III

Hi,

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, . __ . wrote:

> Sometimes one can find things on findlaw. I think that the attack against
> Open Source must be dealt with in an exemplary way so that other companies
> do not even dream of repeating this farce...

I am not completely convinced about this. First of all, why should I
defend IBM? Because it is part of the "good" and against "evil" ? They
invented the PC but the clever Bill Gates got the money, chapeau, however
bad his "OS" is today. Dos was not unix but it worked.

Copyleft etc is fine, Caldera and Linux etcpp, but besides that, it is
possible that the old contracts between IBM and SCO are more special. This
is about pacta sunt servanda, a completely different story.

So it seems that the only question in this case is whether IBM could
terminate those contracts, nothing more.

And I dont care much about this.

Not everything with the label "linux" is about that freedom that we like.
IBMs freedom is not mine.

H.