kevin lahoda on Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:31:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Matrix Reloaded, again [2x]

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:38:14 +0200
> From: "Douwe Osinga" <dmo@oberon.nl>
> Subject: The Matrix Reloaded: beyong meaning
> In a way, this happened to other parts of the movie too. Everything
> becomes less likely, because the more likely has been done before, up
> to a
> point where the viewer no longer cares about the likeliness of a scene
> and
> the scene (hopefully) only appreciate for the visual beauty of it. The
> Matrix Reloaded is the next level in that the Wachowski's brothers
> finally
> have let go of the requirement that the story as such should tell a
> story.

well, one thing they got right in Matrix Reloaded, kind of, though I have
not yet seen it, is a scene where Trinity uses Nmap, a unix based stealth
port scanner to get to root via an SSH vulnerability... but then again the
movie is supposed to take place in 1999 and she is using a 2001 version of
Nmap.

Most likely the production team just borrowed an Internet Enforcement
Administrator from the MPAA to explain how to best portray the root scene.

NMAP: http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_inthenews.html
MPAA job: http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1056496487.html

best,