Lachlan Brown on Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:25:40 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> [Nettime] Terrorists or Hostages?

   Any moderation worth its salt is one thats

   not afraid to go to jail, and so I suppose

   Nettime did fail post 911.

   Personally, I don't think Nettime moderators

   knew whether they were terrorists or hostages

   and they certainly couldn't create, articulate, mediate

   or moderate the ample ground for debate between the

   two positions. The list membership is a valuable one, it is

   connected, but you really underestimated the connectivity

   of Bolders especially during the year after 911.

   What it did do during this time was show that there was

   the possibility of alternatives to America's fascist future

   and it may have helped a little to supply argument to

   people elsewhere to deter and refuse that future.

   I doubt the original list imagined it might be called into

   such a role, so I suppose you did alright.Though you did

   tend to refuse people who were more active in this regard than

   others. Nettime might also have provided mediation between

   net culture and the rest of us in the big wide world a little more
   effectively

   than it did teaching people about 'the dark arts' and allowing people

   to teach 'the dark artists' what's appropriate (god hate that word ..)

   and what's just not on...

   I like the idea of employing another format (wiki or similar)

   though this sounds like more work. I'd be interested in knowing

   more about collaborative formats for a list or two I have planned....

   eventually.

   Meantime @= watch the fireworks.

   Regards,

   Lachlan

   Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at [1]Mail.com

   Visible links
   1. http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

   Hidden links:
   2. http://www.www.www/