Brian Holmes on Sun, 1 Jun 2003 05:42:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Fascism in the USA?

A clarification:

I have used the word fascism to describe the slow drift of a
democratic society toward acceptance of the increasing use of
violence without any need to legitimate it through public debate or
legal process. My aim was to ask the question, of all those living in
or closely involved with the USA (and I must add that although
residing abroad, I am a US citizen), whether this drift can now be
measured in the country, and if so, through what specific signs. The
point of the word "fascism" was to underline the seriousness of the
question.

I don't think we have a word in our language to correctly describe
what has not yet taken place. But one would have to be gifted with a
very weak imagination not to fear the consequences that can arise
when a powerful nation begins to use its military force preemptively,
on the basis of its leaders' intuitions, backed up by the flagrant
manipulation of public opinion. One would have to blind to the power
of propaganda, to think that Fox News is another anodyne version of
infotainment. One would have to have little respect for the social
functions of legal process, to think that the prisoners in Guantanamo
Bay are just a detail. That all of this reflects the will of a
minority is something of which I'm well aware; the question is, will
the minority be successfully opposed? To be confident on principle in
the American democracy's capacity to overcome its current backslide,
and to claim utter incomparability with the political responses to
the inextricable economic problems of certain European countries in
the 1930s, would seem a refusal to even think about the potential
outcomes of the present situation. Which today seems like a very good
recipe for allowing the present situation to get worse.

For years I have been as serious a critic as possible of American
economic policy and of its consequences on the global scale. It never
occurred to me to use the word fascism. But after September 11, and
in the protracted aftermath of the speculative economy's collapse,
what I see emerging is a new political baseline of manipulated fear
and media-driven jingoism to replace the former baseline of
self-congratulatory greed. Politically, I think this can be a winning
formula in an otherwise inextricable situation, and this, beyond the
USA itself. In response to someone's question about anti-Semitism in
France, there isn't just anti-Semitism, there's anti-Arabism and
anti-Africanism and anti-Gypsyism too, and the right has made its
gains from all of them, while the institutional left has come out as
weak as the democrats in the US. As the overconfident business
leaders have lost their mesmerizing force of conviction, almost
everywhere we are seeing a powerfully conservative reaction to the
acceleration of social change in the globalizing 1990s. Almost
everywhere means: in the US, in Europe, in the Arab world. It is the
American right, however, that has the ideological broadcasting power
to invent the winning formula of political reaction (the one to match
and justify the Revolution in Military Affairs). I don't say they
will do it, or that they have done it, but that they may do it.
Before we have the dubious intellectual pleasure of inventing a new
word to describe the original and sophisticated forms of callous
cynicism, bootstamping and cowering fear that only our networked era
can produce, I think we would do better to ask what is happening now,
why, at what levels and through what channels, and how to effectively
oppose it. Thus my question.

best, Brian Holmes