nettime's_embedded_controller on Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:00:37 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> [IRAQ] 030411 digest #1 [pope craze hashemi jo flagan auskadi]

Ivan Pope <ivan@ivanpope.com>
     Re: <nettime> Iraq war debacle coming
"Joshua Craze" <lacfadio@yahoo.co.uk>
     JubileeIraq
Gita Hashemi <gita@ping.ca>
     invitation (not what you think)
jo <jo@xs4all.nl>
     Arab European Leagu statement on Iraq
Are Flagan <areflagan@artpanorama.com>
     The .iq domain
auskadi <auskadi@cwpanama.net>
     Where to Now for the Anti War Movement- Privatization in Disguise

Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:26:04 +0100
Subject: Re: <nettime> Iraq war debacle coming
From: Ivan Pope <ivan@ivanpope.com>

> Dear Friends,
>
> I have always said that in order to win in Iraq the US would have to
> engage in urban combat, and if any substantial number of Saddam's
> followers hold out, that will be a very deadly conflict. Events bear me
> out. The continued fight in Nasiriya, Umm Qadr, and Basra, provide a
> foretaste of much more intense fighting, perhaps block by block in
> Baghdad. The US might win, but only by destroying the city, engendering
> gigantic international revulsion, making the Russian destruction of
> Grozny, Chechnya seem mild by comparison.

Or, then again, it might not. How are you today? Cheers, Ivan

From: "Joshua Craze" <lacfadio@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: JubileeIraq
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:10:06 +0100

CANCEL IRAQ'S DEBT! www.jubileeiraq.org

Apologies if some of you receive this more than once. It is being sent
to many email lists.

A group of people, have been working on a project called Jubilee Iraq for
the last few weeks. The idea is simple. Since the focus of the world is
currently on Iraq and its 'liberation' by Coalition forces, lets try to
hold them to their word. Ask them to cancel the massive Iraqi debt, which,
after all, was accrued under the dictatorship of Saddam Hussein.  Either
they expose their complete hypocrisy and refuse to cancel the debt (in
which case thousands of people start thinking about issues of global
justice for the first time), or they cancel the debt and we can say 'and
now what about Indonesia? and South Africa? and Chile?...'

Either way this is a win-win situation. Either way we catapult the issue
of debt and global justice back into the public eye.

In order for this campaign to work we need massive amounts of help. The
first thing you can do is visit the website at www.jubileeiraq.org and sign
the petition. If you think the campaign is a good idea, please spread the
word through any organisations and networks you may belong to. We don't
have any funding, and so this method is the only one we can use to inform
people of the idea. If you are really keen, please feel free to get in
touch with us with offers of help!

We are especially keen to gain endorsements from prominent figures and
organisations...the bigger the profile of the campaign, the more chance
that it will be noticed and become an issue on the national (and
international) stage.

Please consider devoting a little of your time to this issue. It may be the
best opportunity for years to highlight the blatant injustices of the
current global system. Help us seize it.

Yours,

Joshua Craze,
Oxford