calin on Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:54:28 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Who Owns Language - the "Hip-hop" issue

> Hip Hop is a big multi-billion
> dollar a year business. I was surprised that a big executive like
> Russell Simmons or Clive Davis or even business savy rappers like
> Jay-Z, P-Diddy or Eminem never trademarked the phrase.

it amazes me as well. but probably all those and other majors of the hip-hop
culture were too focused on other business outlets. actually the whole story
is the logical outcome of a long degradation process which was taking out
hip-hop from its original political stand into the big business.
therefore it is time for hip-hop to die, and leave place to other,
less business-oriented trends.

licesing hip-hop with whoever this Danish from Norway is would be a
mistake. time to move further and leave hipo-hop to the present
government and its next political campaigns. I can hardly wait to see
all those media heads form the W. House swinging it.

cool!