nettime's_dumptruck on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:30:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> [IRAQ] digest [rochkind, century, budka, desrenards, strauss x2]

Enforcing Globalization as justification for war in Iraq
      Jonathan Rochkind <j-rochkind@northwestern.edu>
Perle, Khashoggi, Homeland Security
      "Michael L. Century" <century@rpi.edu>
US-american coalition of war
      Philipp Budka <philbu@gmx.net>
Lettre au Pr=?ISO-8859-1?B?6XNpZGVudCBkZXMgZnJhbudhaXOL?=  une
      Louise Desrenards <louisedesrenards@free.fr>
helen caldicott: the pope as a human shield in iraq
      "carolyn f. Strauss" <carolyn@dreamcapsule.com>
helen caldicott v.2
      "carolyn f. Strauss" <carolyn@dreamcapsule.com>

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:57:54 -0600
From: Jonathan Rochkind <j-rochkind@northwestern.edu>
Subject: Enforcing Globalization as justification for war in Iraq

If we understand 'globalization' as a New World Order that is changing the
nature of geopolitics in fundamental ways rather too complex for me to go
into here, then I can say I have been thinking lately that the Bush
administration _approach_ to war in Iraq reflects a _resistance_ to (some
aspects of) globalization. Here is a quite interesting essay by a pro-war
military academic that suggests the _goals_ of a war in Iraq is in fact to
enforce a globalized New World Order, and to secure the US's place in
it.  Apparently the answer is war on the same parts of the post-colonized
world we've always warred upon, hmm, that doesn't seem like that big a change.

Then again, he may not mean the same thing by 'globalization' as I do. The
problem is none of us are clear on the nature of this 'globalization'
thing---and if it takes the language of Hardt and Negri to describe it,
then I suppose we can just give up on clarity.

********

http//www.nwc.navy.mil/newrulesets/ThePentagonsNewMap.htm

THE PENTAGON’S
NEW MAP

IT EXPLAINS WHY WE’RE GOING TO WAR,
AND WHY WE’LL KEEP GOING TO WAR.

BY
THOMAS P.M. BARNETT, U.S. NAVAL WAR COLLEGE
[MAPS BY WILLIAM MCNULTY]

Esquire, March 2003 issue

Since the end of the cold war, the United States has been trying to come up
with an operating theory of the worldand a military strategy to accompany
it. Now there’s a leading contender. It involves identifying the problem
parts of the world and aggressively shrinking them. Since September 11,
2001, the author, a professor of warfare analysis, has been advising the
Office of the Secretary of Defense and giving this briefing continually at
the Pentagon and in the intelligence community. Now he gives it to you.
LET ME TELL YOU why military engagement with Saddam Hussein’s regime in
Baghdad is not only necessary and inevitable, but good.

When the United States finally goes to war again in the Persian Gulf, it
will not constitute a settling of old scores, or just an enforced
disarmament of illegal weapons, or a distraction in the war on terror. Our
next war in the Gulf will mark a historical tipping pointthe moment when
Washington takes real ownership of strategic security in the age of
globalization.

That is why the public debate about this war has been so important It
forces Americans to come to terms with I believe is the new security
paradigm that shapes this age, namely, Disconnectedness defines danger.
Saddam Hussein’s outlaw regime is dangerously disconnected from the
globalizing world, from its rule sets, its norms, and all the ties that
bind countries together in mutually assured dependence.

The problem with most discussion of globalization is that too many experts
treat it as a binary outcome Either it is great and sweeping the planet, or
it is horrid and failing humanity everywhere. Neither view really works,
because globalization as a historical process is simply too big and too
complex for such summary judgments. Instead, this new world must be defined
by where globalization has truly taken root and where it has not.

Show me where globalization is thick with network connectivity, financial
transactions, liberal media flows, and collective security, and I will show
you regions featuring stable governments, rising standards of living, and
more deaths by suicide than murder. These parts of the world I call the
Functioning Core, or Core. But show me where globalization is thinning or
just plain absent, and I will show you regions plagued by politically
repressive regimes, widespread poverty and disease, routine mass murder,
andmost importantthe chronic conflicts that incubate the next generation of
global terrorists. These parts of the world I call the Non-Integrating Gap,
or Gap.

Globalization’s “ozone hole” may have been out of sight and out of mind
prior to September 11, 2001, but it has been hard to miss ever since. And
measuring the reach of globalization is not an academic exercise to an
eighteen-year-old marine sinking tent poles on its far side. So where do we
schedule the U.S. military’s next round of away games? The pattern that has
emerged since the end of the cold war suggests a simple answer in the Gap.

The reason I support going to war in Iraq is not simply that Saddam is a
cutthroat Stalinist willing to kill anyone to stay in power, nor because
that regime has clearly supported terrorist networks over the years. The
real reason I support a war like this is that the resulting long-term
military commitment will finally force America to deal with the entire Gap
as a strategic threat environment.

FOR MOST COUNTRIES, accommodating the emerging global rule set of
democracy, transparency, and free trade is no mean feat, which is something
most Americans find hard to understand. We tend to forget just how hard it
has been to keep the United States together all these years, harmonizing
our own, competing internal rule sets along the waythrough a Civil War, a
Great Depression, and the long struggles for racial and sexual equality
that continue to this day. As far as most states are concerned, we are
quite unrealistic in our expectation that they should adapt themselves
quickly to globalization’s very American-looking rule set.

But you have to be careful with that Darwinian pessimism, because it is a
short jump from apologizing for globalization-as-forced-Americanization to
insinuatingalong racial or civilization linesthat “those people will simply
never be like us.” Just ten years ago, most experts were willing to write
off poor Russia, declaring Slavs, in effect, genetically unfit for
democracy and capitalism. Similar arguments resonated in most China-bashing
during the 1990’s, and you hear them today in the debates about the
feasibility of imposing democracy on a post-Saddam Iraqa sort of
Muslims-are-from-Mars argument.

So how do we distinguish between who is really making it in globalization’s
Core and who remains trapped in the Gap? And how permanent is this dividing
line?

Understanding that the line between the Core and Gap is constantly
shifting, let me suggest that the direction of change is more critical than
the degree. So, yes, Beijing is still ruled by a “Communist party” whose
ideological formula is 30 percent Marxist-Leninist and 70 percent Sopranos,
but China just signed on to the World Trade Organization, and over the long
run, that is far more important in securing the country’s permanent Core
status. Why? Because it forces China to harmonize its internal rule set
with that of globalizationbanking, tariffs, copyright protection,
environmental standards. Of course, working to adjust your internal rule
sets to globalization’s evolving rule set offers no guarantee of success.
As Argentina and Brazil have recently found out, following the rules (in
Argentina’s case, sort of following) does not mean you are panicproof, or
bubbleproof, or even recessionproof. Trying to adapt to globalization does
not mean bad things will never happen to you. Nor does it mean all your
poor will immediately morph into stable middle class. It just means your
standard of living gets better over time.

In sum, it is always possible to fall off this bandwagon called
globalization. And when you do, bloodshed will follow. If you are lucky, so
will American troops.

SO WHAT PARTS OF THE WORLD can be considered functioning right now? North
America, much of South America, the European Union, Putin’s Russia, Japan
and Asia’s emerging economies (most notably China and India), Australia and
New Zealand, and South Africa, which accounts for roughly four billion out
of a global population of six billion.

Whom does that leave in the Gap? It would be easy to say “everyone else,”
but I want to offer you more proof than that and, by doing so, argue why I
think the Gap is a long-term threat to more than just your pocketbook or
conscience.

If we map out U.S. military responses since the end of the cold war, (see
below), we find an overwhelming concentration of activity in the regions of
the world that are excluded from globalization’s growing Core—namely the
Caribbean Rim, virtually all of Africa, the Balkans, the Caucasus, Central
Asia, the Middle East and Southwest Asia, and much of Southeast Asia. That
is roughly the remaining two billion of the world’s population. Most have
demographics skewed very young, and most are labeled, “low income” or “low
middle income” by the World Bank (i.e., less than $3,000 annual per capita).

If we draw a line around the majority of those military interventions, we
have basically mapped the Non-Integrating Gap. Obviously, there are
outliers excluded geographically by this simple approach, such as an Israel
isolated in the Gap, a North Korea adrift within the Core, or a Philippines
straddling the line. But looking at the data, it is hard to deny the
essential logic of the picture: If a country is either losing out to
globalization or rejecting much of the content flows associated with its
advance, there is a far greater chance that the U.S. will end up sending
forces at some point. Conversely, if a country is largely functioning
within globalization, we tend not to have to send our forces there to
restore order to eradicate threats.

Now, that may seem like a tautology—in effect defining any place that has
not attracted U.S. military intervention in the last decade or so as
“functioning within globalization” (and vice versa). But think about this
larger point: Ever since the end of World War II, this country has assumed
that the real threats to its security resided in countries of roughly
similar size, development, and wealth—in other words, other great powers
like ourselves. During the cold war, that other great power was the Soviet
Union. When the big Red machine evaporated in the early 1990’s, we flirted
with concerns about a united Europe, a powerhouse Japan, and—most
recently—a rising China.
What was interesting about all those scenarios is the assumption that only
an advanced state can truly threaten us. The rest of the world? Those
less-developed parts of the world have long been referred to in military
plans as the “Lesser Includeds,” meaning that if we built a military
capable of handling a great power’s military threat, it would always be
sufficient for any minor scenarios we might have to engage in the less
advanced world.

That assumption was shattered by September 11. After all, we were not
attacked by a nation or even an army but by a group of—in Thomas Friedman’s
vernacular—Super Empowered Individuals willing to die for their cause.
September 11 triggered a system perturbation that continues to reshape our
government (the new Department of Homeland Security), our economy (the de
facto security tax we all pay), and even our society (Wave to the camera!).
Moreover, it launched the global war on terrorism, the prism through which
our government now views every bilateral security relationship we have
across the world.

In many ways, the September 11 attacks did the U.S. national-security
establishment a huge favor by pulling us back from the abstract planning of
future high-tech wars against “near peers” into the here-and-now threats to
global order. By doing so, the dividing lines between Core and Gap were
highlighted, and more important, the nature of the threat environment was
thrown into stark relief.

Think about it: Bin Laden and Al Qaeda are pure products of the Gap—in
effect, its most violent feedback to the Core. They tell us how we are
doing in exporting security to these lawless areas (not very well) and
which states they would like to take “off line” from globalization and
return to some seventh-century definition of the good life (any Gap state
with a sizable Muslim population, especially Saudi Arabia).

If you take this message from Osama and combine it with our
military-intervention record of the last decade, a simple security rule set
emerges: A country’s potential to warrant a U.S. military response is
inversely related to its globalization connectivity. There is a good reason
why Al Qaeda was based first in Sudan and then later in Afghanistan: These
are two of the most disconnected countries in the world. Look at the other
places U.S. Special Operations Forces have recently zeroed in on:
northwestern Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen. We are talking about the ends of the
earth as far as globalization is concerned.

But just as important as “getting them where they live” is stopping the
ability of these terrorist networks to access the Core via the “seam
states” that lie along the Gap’s bloody boundaries. It is along this seam
that the Core will seek to suppress bad things coming out of the Gap. Which
are some of these classic seam states? Mexico, Brazil, South Africa,
Morocco, Algeria, Greece, Turkey, Pakistan, Thailand, Malaysia, the
Philippines, and Indonesia come readily to mind. But the U.S. will not be
the only Core state working this issue. For example, Russia has its own war
on terrorism in the Caucasus, China is working its western border with more
vigor, and Australia was recently energized (or was it cowed?) by the Bali
bombing.

IF WE STEP BACK for a minute and consider the broader implications of this
new global map, then U.S. national-security strategy would seem to be: 1)
Increase the Core’s immune system capabilities for responding to September
11-like system perturbations; 2) Work the seam states to firewall the Core
from the Gap’s worst exports, such as terror, drugs, and pandemics; and,
most important, 3) Shrink the Gap. Notice I did not just say Mind the Gap.
The knee-jerk reaction of many Americans to September 11 is to say, “Let’s
get off our dependency on foreign oil, and then we won’t have to deal with
those people.” The most naïve assumption underlying that dream is that
reducing what little connectivity the Gap has with the Core will render it
less dangerous to us over the long haul. Turning the Middle East into
Central Africa will not build a better world for my kids. We cannot simply
will those people away.

The Middle East is the perfect place to start. Diplomacy cannot work in a
region where the biggest sources of insecurity lie not between states but
within them. What is most wrong about the Middle East is the lack of
personal freedom and how that translates into dead-end lives for most of
the population—especially for the young. Some states like Qatar and Jordan
are ripe for perestroika-like leaps into better political futures, thanks
to younger leaders who see the inevitability of such change. Iran is
likewise waiting for the right Gorbachev to come along—if he has not already.
What stands in the path of this change? Fear. Fear of tradition unraveling.
Fear of the mullah’s disapproval. Fear of being labeled a “bad” or
“traitorous” Muslim state. Fear of becoming a target of radical groups and
terrorist networks. But most of all, fear of being attacked from all sides
for being different—the fear of becoming Israel.

The Middle East has long been a neighborhood of bullies eager to pick on
the weak. Israel is still around because it has become—sadly—one of the
toughest bullies on the block. The only thing that will change that nasty
environment and open the floodgates for change is if some external power
steps in and plays Leviathan full-time. Taking down Saddam, the region’s
bully-in-chief, will force the U.S. into playing that role far more fully
than it has over the past several decades, primarily because Iraq is the
Yugoslavia of the Middle East—a crossroads of civilizations that has
historically required a dictatorship to keep the peace. As baby-sitting
jobs go, this one will be a doozy, making our lengthy efforts in postwar
Germany and Japan look simple in retrospect.

But it is the right thing to do, and now is the right time to do it, and we
are the only country that can. Freedom cannot blossom in the Middle East
without security, and security is this country’s most influential
public-sector export. By that I do not mean arms exports, but basically the
attention paid by our military forces to any region’s potential for mass
violence. We are the only nation on earth capable of exporting security in
a sustained fashion, and we have a very good track record of doing it.

Show me a part of the world that is secure in its peace and I will show you
a strong or growing ties between local militaries and the U.S. military.
Show me regions where major war is inconceivable and I will show you
permanent U.S. military bases and long-term security alliances. Show me the
strongest investment relationships in the global economy and I will show
you two postwar military occupations that remade Europe and Japan following
World War II.

This country has successfully exported security to globalization’s Old Core
(Western Europe, Northeast Asia) for half a century and to its emerging New
Core (Developing Asia) for a solid quarter century following our
mishandling of Vietnam. But our efforts in the Middle Ease have been
inconsistent—in Africa, almost nonexistent. Until we begin the systematic,
long-term export of security to the Gap, it will increasingly export its
pain to the Core in the form of terrorism and other instabilities.

Naturally, it will take a whole lot more than the U.S. exporting security
to shrink the Gap. Africa, for example, will need far more aid than the
Core has offered in the past, and the integration of the Gap will
ultimately depend more on private investment than anything the Core’s
public sector can offer. But it all has to begin with security, because
free markets and democracy cannot flourish amid chronic conflict.

Making this effort means reshaping our military establishment to
mirror-image the challenge that we face. Think about it. Global war is not
in the offing, primarily because our huge nuclear stockpile renders such
war unthinkable—for anyone. Meanwhile, classic state-on-state wars are
becoming fairly rare. So if the United States is in the process of
“transforming” its military to meet the threats of tomorrow, what should it
end up looking like? In my mind, we fight fire with fire. If we live in a
world increasingly populated by Super-Empowered Individuals, we field a
military of Super-Empowered-Individuals.

This may sound like additional responsibility for an already overburdened
military, but that is the wrong way of looking at it, for what we are
dealing with here are problems of success—not failure. It is America’s
continued success in deterring global war and obsolescing state-on-state
war that allows us to stick our noses into the far more difficult
subnational conflicts and the dangerous transnational actors they spawn. I
know most Americans do not want to hear this, but the real battlegrounds in
the global war on terrorism are still over there. If gated communities and
rent-a-cops were enough, September 11 never would have happened.

History is full of turning points like that terrible day, but no
turning-back-points. We ignore the Gap’s existence at our own peril,
because it will not go away until we as a nation respond to the challenge
of making globalization truly global.