Soenke Zehle on Mon, 3 Mar 2003 00:53:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> The US-Spies-On-UN-Security-Council-Memo

For the archive: here's the memo leaked to the Observer (already considered
a historical event, last time the US got caught spying on UN diplomats was
in 1945), more text/analysis at the site.

Soenke

http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,905954,00.html
Sunday March 2, 2003

To: [Recipients withheld]
From: FRANK KOZA@Chief of Staff (Regional Target) CIV/NSA
on 31/01/2003 0:16
Subject: Reflections of Iraq debate/votes at UN - RT actions and potential
for related contributions
TOP SECRET/COMINT/XL

All,

As you've likely heard by now, the Agency is mounting a surge particularly
directed at the UN Security Council (UNSC) members (minus US and GBR of
course) for insights as to how to membership is reacting to the on-going
debate RE: Iraq, plans to vote on any related resolutions, what related
policies/ negotiating positions they may be considering, alliances/
dependencies, etc - the whole gamut of information that could give US
policymakers an edge in obtaining results favourable to US goals or to head
off surprises. In RT, that means a QRC surge effort to revive/ create
efforts against UNSC members Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Bulgaria and Guinea,
as well as extra focus on Pakistan UN matters.

We've also asked ALL RT topi's to emphasise and make sure they pay attention
to existing non-UNSC member UN-related and domestic comms for anything
useful related to the UNSC deliberations/ debates/ votes. We have a lot of
special UN-related diplomatic coverage (various UN delegations) from
countries not sitting on the UNSC right now that could contribute related
perspectives/ insights/ whatever. We recognise that we can't afford to
ignore this possible source.

We'd appreciate your support in getting the word to your analysts who might
have similar, more in-direct access to valuable information from accesses in
your product lines. I suspect that you'll be hearing more along these lines
in formal channels - especially as this effort will probably peak (at least
for this specific focus) in the middle of next week, following the
SecState's presentation to the UNSC.

Thanks for your help