nettime's_oracle on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 06:55:09 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> digest boycotts! [pocock, recktenwald]

Philip.Pocock@t-online.de (philip pocock)
     Re: <nettime> pocock's boycotts
Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
     Re: <nettime> other than pocock's boycotts

Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:31:06 +0100
Subject: Re: <nettime> pocock's boycotts
From: Philip.Pocock@t-online.de (philip pocock)

LOL K,

well, in the Metamorphosis, didnt the world stem from 'chaos'. the
boycott i intend is an open discussion about what you term ''big end'
media art'. discourse is democracy. and our streets are here.

manovich is free to answer and i am sure he will prepare with his text.
i shoot from the hip since its emailspace here.

maybe out of our discussion some idea as to where time is traveling will
emerge, and dead ends like soft cinema will go the way of the dinosaur
database ideas they promote obscuring any horizon that they promise
without success.

same goes for 'big ticket' items likej.  shaw's mechanically engineered
media theatrics. the cost of one, like the energy-sucking dome in the
zkm now, could pay for a small contingent of programmers from the
diaspora to connect. understanding can only emerge if it is possible.
why not in iraq, where database cinema gets the word algorithm from the
name from a ancient baghdad mathematician?

the daimler-chrysler light shows of 'big end' media art from the
australia-based promoter (shaw) do little that 60s world's fairs didnt
to mark that 'golden age' some dropped out from, and now dissolving in
an acidic world climate if media culture conversation doesnt begin to
get over such industrial antics like shaw's, lending factory CEOs the
greedy feeling that they are not far from creating vehicles with the
same magic as what they might think art to be. that fills one or two
pockets, but it empties the collective one, ie nettime!, and fuels more
disparity, choking young initiatives, misunderstanding all the while
what media art can invent. if only dinosuars were as graceful as that
dancing disney hippo.

media is arguably the state dept. of the moment. and it is not
pixel-prettied tv news (manovich) or industrial-strength (j. shaw)
dragging its heels in territory people don't believe for good reason any
longer. media, even if understood, has huge problems yet new potentials.
hoping to get some insight here.

after the dinosaurs... primates allopatrically speciated.
no longer fearing the t-rex, primates became diurnal.
ddaytime activity meant color vision evolved. now we got the rainbow
coalition of the unwilling (yeah!) :)

you mention history boycotting. isnt history just the practice of
searching for the 'now' as it occurred at previous times? and then there
is the more curious, 'now what?'

Am Sunday den, 16. February 2003, um 02:10, schrieb McKenzie Wark:

> Betreff: <nettime> pocock's boycotts
> Antwort an: "McKenzie Wark" <mckenziewark@hotmail.com>

philip pocock
gabelsbergerstr. 1 d-76135 karlsruhe germany
mobile/sms +49 1707 369 870
tel +49 721 845 715  fax +49 721 830 2714

the more we share, the more we have. - l.nimoy