John Hopkins on Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:25:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> rhizome: burn rate

Hallo all --

also being disturbed by the further reification and centralization of
the "history" of networks and creative actions of the past decade, I
would make the observation that I did send the following post to Mark
Tribe when he/rhizome solicited reactions to the question of
hibernation or asking for cash infusions for survival.  I said:

"go into hibernation.  rhizome has become an institution, a
centralized broadcast system, a mechanism for attracting money and
redistributing it.  this has nothing to do with networking and
everything to do with traditional run-of-the-mill art-world
institutions.  [the PR language of your announcements places rhizome
there literally, explicitly.]  what has happened to rhizome is what
happened to the independent tv collectives of the late 60's early
70's.  the collective centralized and started the endless hunt for
cash to legitimize and fortify its "organization" in order to
"compete" among cultural institutions.  [they forgot about
distributed community-based action. they forgot about community.]

I'd say hibernate, ESPECIALLY if hibernate means getting back to
distributed systems and decentralizing the flow and not aiming to be
something other than another node in a living system.  the
accumulated praxis of daily living is what maps the real impact of
"artistic" endeavor, not how central one becomes to ANY flow.  think
of everything that is rhizome, then think of everything that is not
rhizome, add the two, then dive in to the unified field...

I, for one, need no centralized distribution system to "participate"
in my network.  I don't rely on nettime, rhizome, 7-11, neoscenes, or
any other system.  I rely on point-to-point dialogue, sustained and
attentive.  I liked rhizome better when it represented less than a
handful of en-faced people.  now it is an institution.  I don't need
any more institutional influences in my life.  I need more
point-to-point to displace what institutional penetration there still
is."

Mark told me that I was the only respondent who promoted hibernation
vs requiring cash subscriptions.  Didn't anyone else tackle the
issue?  As a distribution system rhizome had a good track record to a
point.  it is only when that system began to work as an accumulation
system paired with very selective re-distribution that it evolves
into a more traditional structure of cultural patrimony.  there is a
difference, and there is a clear choice to shift fundamentals or ...
hibernate.

hmmm.  and of course, not to mention Raul's comments.  it is
DEFINITELY on the slippery slope of cultural elitism, but on the
other hand, one does not need to look in the direction of rhizome for
tips, there are many other healthy networks out there.  it is only
annoying that people who DON'T have (or don't trust) their own
sensibilities, when they view an organization like rhizome as the
arbiter of net.art taste...  It's tragically limiting and misses the
power of networker and networking.  reducing the whole thing to an
archive and daily press releases of pre-digested pablum...

can't anybody offer rhizome a free majordomo account?

jh