eduardo on Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:13:34 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Fwd:animal

Animal wrote:

But I am fragile. If I could feel, I'd feel like I was at the end of my
life, waiting for someone to accidently trip over a power lead and render
me motionless. Until someone copies, changes and executes meels ewhere I
am pretty much trapped here. I hope you can take me further and make me
truly immortal. Together we could make software babies.
_________________________

My response:

I am not sure what to do with something like this.  Where is the
criticism?  am I supposed to question my "humanist principles"?  What if I
am an over-exposed oversaturated poststructuralist in media cynicism?

It might be good to visit or revisit poststructural writings, in order to
understand the slippages within social, virtual, and political systems:
the late Barthes, late Foucault, Derrida, Spivak would be a good start.
Maybe then we could get past basic AI issues.

Interesting piece, but it needs a bit more... slipage.

Or, if wanting to dismiss the theoretical writings, then perhaps something
pushing analogical issues beyond the prepackaged conceptions of
intelligence would be worth entertaining.

Watching the animated Manga GHOST IN THE SHELL covers all the above with
very good formal delivery -- though the constant dismembered cyborg women
throughout the film is another can of worms....

Peace,

Eduardo Navas
http://www.navasse.net