eyescratch on Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:39:28 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> DECONtamination CONtagium

Ana, and, yes, it has taken some time to reply to your concise
leveling of the issues surrounding the discourse on privacy. Some
thoughts cobbled together over the last two weeks....

Well, in terms of artist using the medium of surveillance, a scheme
of accountability would resultantly limit access to these streams of
unconscious matter. Isn't it the thought behind these apparatuses
that needs to be questioned, and not the medium itself?
Accountability rings with the call to put a chip in your arm and all
doors open. Man gets busted after using metrocard to enter @ avenue A
and exit at boulevard B @ such-and-such o'clock. The number on the
card matched the number on the amber alert sign. etc. A lottery of
control.

Does what we do and who we are privately make us recognizable to the
system by making you uniquely you? No, I answer my own question,
because we have a second self to represent us, which is monitored
discreetly;- otherwise the idea of privacy as a social good escapes
us.

Video-surveillance has an eerie quality to it, but it has become a
stage for some,http://www.notbored.org/the-scp.html, and has even
been conveniently picked up for re-staging and re-cycling. So
accountability is mirrored sardonically by what can be recognized in
the fuzzy picture. Not much to the naked eye, but that makes it all
the more appealing to the generalized consensus. Police officers on
the stage of retribution in the reality show. The kitsch, armored
version can be found at JCPenny:
http://www.antiwar.com/comment/0900631b805e1807L.jpg - the forward
command post, easily designed with roof and just one wall - logically
placed towards the line of fire. A plastic antithesis to _Ulysses
Gaze_.

But I am getting caught up in an aesthetic discussion. I wonder how
your discussion of privacy as a social good contrasts with the
sixties sedition on the constitution of group dynamics. Forming
groups, acting in consort, creating fluid dynamics in groups,
anti-authoritarian models. Should we demand personal victories from
others or just from the system of control? When, and which way are we
stepping out of bounds?

And when a system does not constitute itself on values as such,
perhaps instead, hinges on, say creative effort, like nettime
perhaps, recently encountering a majordomo exception, do we need
victories at all? When are we just wandering around in a MOO where
everyone politely tips their hat?

I guess I am wondering whether privacy constitutes itself of personal
victories or is it just the ability to shut off every once in a while
and not put on that morning face. I am reminded of _cocoon_ for some
reason, its voyeuristic quality bathed in youthful exuberance.

Today all these issues came to the forefront here in a central park
dust bowl, where 40,000 people co-mingled to the chant of NOT IN OUR
NAME. This slogan seems to put its foot on the issue squarely: people
claiming a group identity that is opposed to wholesale peddling of
rights and peace on earth so that the spoiled brats of oil riches may
hijack history on the world stage. This is all sounding pedantic,
perhaps because there was a pledge we all asked to make, to step out
of the shadow of a chain of events that currently brew to the boil of
war, and take a stand. We don't even know what a 'successful' war
will bring; it seems those perpetuating are only interested in its
means, to no end.

I see a conundrum in the word private - sometimes denoting ownership
and sometimes being something much more visceral, a la Wolf. But
there must be a reason why you get busted down to private in the
military. Does it have to do with the delegation of responsibility
and accountability in a command structure? It seems that as the
notion of private property erodes, our right to privacy erode as
well, and all this due to the propping up of the regime of late
capitalism.

Vaclav Havel put it this way recently at the Graduate Center here in
New York - after the velvet revolution, which he described as a fairy
tale in this instance, he was forced to fall back to earth to the
cold reality of politics. Yet after dealing in this political and
very public space for thirteen years, which he characterized as
eroding slowly his ideals he came to realize that another fairy tale
was taking shape, a tale that did not constitute itself of questions
of what his goals for changing the world are but of what he had
achieved to change the world. Do we dare acknowledge another fiction
taking shape?

À 9:13 AM -0400 le 10/3/02, Ana Viseu a écrit:

>I agree with your definition of surveillance as a 'passive-agressive
>non-entity'. Although I would say that the hope underlying it is not
>that you don't step out of line (there are mechanisms to deal with
>deviations) but that you internalize the logic itself. The moment
>the logic of surveillance becomes internalized the disciplinization
>comes from within rather than being imposed from outside.

<...>