Francis Hwang on Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:03:26 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Flash: Currency Speculators Own Planet

>          Most of the market traders know nothing of Lula and little about
>Brazil; he just seems to match their Identikit stereotype of a left-wing
>extremist, so they flee screaming.  Even those who do their research
>cannot afford to act on their superior knowledge of the situation, because
>they know that the majority of their colleagues will react differently,
>and a successful trader is one who guesses which way the herd will run and
>gets there first.

This is interesting. In traditional open markets theory, this kind of
thing should be automatically corrected, because mass delusion
represents an opportunity to be exploited. If everybody thinks the
Brazilian real should be devalued, but you know the fundamentals of
the real are strong, you should buy, and keep buying as the value
goes down. You know that one day things will turn around.

But perhaps that's not happening. Why not? Maybe it's because traders
don't ever hold positions long term -- the word for that is
"investor", not "trader". Maybe there are positive feedback loops set
off by a massive devaluation that are impossible to overcome. I don't
know a lot about currency trading, so this is all just speculative on
my part.

One more thing: Why is the currency market effectively controlled by
Americans? Where are the Germans, and the Japanese? Do they have
currency traders who would possibly their own independent,
countervailing opinions about da Silva and the real?

F.