h.d.mabuse on Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:50:50 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Brazilian Music online [2x]

Table of Contents:

   re:combo - voice of america report
     "h.d.mabuse" <mabuse@manguebit.org.br>

   re:combo - Brazilians' Spin: Remix Music Biz
     "h.d.mabuse" <mabuse@manguebit.org.br>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:35:13 -0300
From: "h.d.mabuse" <mabuse@manguebit.org.br>
Subject: re:combo - voice of america report

Brazilian Musicians Display Creativity on the Internet
http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectid=DBDE77C7-0A70-42AF-9CA6CA78F88EACCE&title=Brazilian%20Musicians%20Display%20Creativity%20on%20the%20Internet&db=current
Nico Colombant
Rio de Janeiro
1 Aug 2002 18:42 UTC

- - Download the colombant report - Download 614K
(http://www.voanews.com/mediastore/colombant_callfornoise_01aug02.rm)

Music lovers in Brazil are coming together on the Internet to create new
music unhindered by constraints of traditional music publishing. The
movement is starting to attract neophyte composers as far away as Eastern
Europe.
This is a remix of a classic soccer song well known by Brazilians. The
result is titled Boasting Delirium. The website where it's found is called
re:combo as in recombining music, without any barriers.
Technology reporter Paulo Rebelo says it attracts music lovers who feel
liberated by the Internet.
"It's basically people who are involved with computers, Internet and music.
There are some singers, local singers from Recife, Sao Paulo and Rio de
Janeiro and some professors, history professors. For them, re:combo is a
kind of part-time job since they don't make money from re:combo so they all
have different jobs and they usually work for re:combo at night or during
their free time on weekends."

This song is Com Certeza eu Vou, meaning I'll go for sure.

Sergio Angelim, a software developer by day, used a friend's message on his
answering machine as a starting point. The resident of Recife in
northeastern Brazil explains that re:combo has evolved into a community
based on sharing and creativity.
"The whole basis for the experience is intellectual generosity and open
environment for people to work on a project without being tied to any kind
of contract or anything," he said. "So when we open the content that
re:combo produces so people can get the content themselves change it and
recombine it and do different things and so we expect to get this back and
produce new things again and so it improves." 	[]

Periodically, re:combo organizes what is termed a "Call for Noise." Web
surfers are asked to contribute material, music but also graphics and
videos. These are then sampled in a live d.j. session.
The last call for noise attracted neophyte music composers from as far away
as Romania, and Mr. Angelim says there are no limits.

"The ideal scenario in the future would be like a world tour in a day.
Re:combo in every city, just playing the group's material. I mean if you
just have just one person in a city, two people in a city, you can get
together and make a show, a presentation, and call it a re:combo as long as
the material is produced by the group, by everyone."

One of the recent calls for noise produced this mysterious samba mix.

http://english.recombo.art.br
http://recombo.art.br