Helen Evans on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:32:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Learning from Prada?

> One of the criticisms that I always hear levelled at contemporary art is
> that it's really just a neat bit of design in disguise. There's no "art"
> or soul left in the work.

> The result is that we're inhabiting an increasingly smooth, glossy and
> superficial culture. And it's a culture looking for a subject. In Foster's
> words, design is the "package" that "all but replaces the product".

haven't we heard enough about design being about "surface" and packaging? As
any designer worth her salt knows, this is simply BAD design.

We should be asking, why are people still defending dubious borders between
art and design?  Don't people in the art world realise that the impact of
new technologies has impacted on all disciplines: art, design and craft.
Creative practictioners of all diciplines are collaborating to explore the
creative potential of these technologies - and in this process are expanding
and overlapping the traditional demarkations between disciplines.