Lachlan Brown on Mon, 8 Jul 2002 01:43:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> <Nettime> Re: Carnivore

Oh, Nettime's up again.

I was writing to the problematic of how the cultural and social
impact of technology is often 'resolved' by introducing more
technology in bulk or through innovation. The distribution of 'Carnivore' forgrounds this problematic in interesting
and quite alarming ways and brings into high relief the
institutional, legal and governmental terrain that
practices, artistic and political cannot help but impact.

'Carnivore' distribution and its impacts on the institution
of 'the self' of rights and responsibilities with regard to others
and to the State, and Knowbotic Research's Minds of
Concern which cast into high relief the legal and contractual
bases of Internet Service Provision and of Arts management and
production, together cast light on matters of State, Public Institutions, Law and Commerce. To this end both the distribution of 'Carnivore' and Minds of Concern share similarities in the productive nature of the questions that are raised. The balance
between State, Commerce, and the Public seems out of whack.

 Thanks for pointing to the distinction between Open distribution
of code, which is a cause for concern, and the curation of a project of art.

 I have a post about the Knowbotic Research project that I meant
to send several weeks ago but most of the lists I was writing to ground to a halt, perhaps a moment of ethical/legal consideration
of these practices as they relate to institutional leagal matters
or perhaps just the advent of summer.

Best++

Lachlan

Lachlan+
There were no legal issues that I know of regarding the presentation of
Carnivore at the New Museum. There were significant legal issues around
the presentation of Knowbotic Research's Minds of Concern and Critical
Art Ensemble's GenTerra performance.

Steve Dietz
Curator of New Media
Walker Art Center