nettime's_31337_h!5+0r!4|| on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:19:46 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ### note to self: digest class <-> hack [hettinga x2, snelson]

"R. A. Hettinga" <rah@shipwright.com>
     Anthropological phylogeny and ontogeny and the Geodesic Society
"R. A. Hettinga" <rah@shipwright.com>
     Re: <nettime> On Empire
"Kermit Snelson" <ksnelson@subjectivity.com>
     Re: <nettime> The Hacker Class

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:58:09 -0400
From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Anthropological phylogeny and ontogeny and the Geodesic Society

At 4:23 AM +0200 on 6/2/02, Diana McCarty wrote:

> I'd say the hacker class has done pretty well
> for itself already, but they tended to favor the vectoralist
> position. Or  how many shares does it take to turn a hacker into a
> vector?  Maybe we are  _all_ hackers and we don't know it, but
> _they_ found out first.

Right.

If I might be indulged in a little crackpot anthropology :-), think
about these for a minute:

Scavenger
Hunter/Gatherer
Farmer
Mechanic
Machines

Each represents not only a phyla of modern society -- nothing goes
away -- but also represents a stage in man's cultural evolution.

Currently, we're moving into what I've been calling a geodesic
society, after Huber's observation that Moore's law turns
hierarchical networks into geodesic networks. I claim that our social
structures, economic, force, whatever, map quite nicely to the
whatever our dominant communication architecture is at the time. Our
network evolution follows our increasing social complexity, if you
notice. Scavengers and hunter-gatherers created "star" shaped
peer-to-peer networks. Farmers and hunter-gatherers created
hierarchical networks to operate in the large populations that
agriculture produced at the intersections of agricultural trade
routes. Mechanics increased communication speed, but only recently
were able to reduce information switching costs, so larger and larger
hierarchies evolved as spans of control increased, creating larger
and larger economies of scale. The result was larger and larger
nation-states and multinational corporations until the ultimate
synthesis of both, the totalitarian state, proved that the
mechanically calculated transfer-pricing of assets eventually falls
down without a market in the feedback loop somewhere.

Paradoxically, it was the evolution of markets *towards* this stage
of increasing centralization that caused the literal and conceptual
downfall of states like Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia and Communist
China, and, even, in its own way, the United States, as then
organized by Roosevelt's "New" Deal and Johnson's "Great" Society.

It was the granting by nation-states of monopoly to telephone
switching companies that caused, ultimately, Moore's law, which
enabled the "surfacting" of information into smaller and smaller
bits, moving closer and closer to where it was needed in the network,
all at the very expense of central, even hierarchical, control.

It was also the need to "calculate" the price of an asset on a modern
large-scale organization's books, in order to transfer it to another
place in that organization that caused the fundamental discovery of
modern financial theory: that asset prices can only be *discovered*
in markets and not *calculated* by firms, paradoxically something
that happens precisely *because* of the continual process of
asset-price calculation that every firm in a given market must to in
order to survive.

The synthesis of these two ideas is that Moore's law reduces
transaction costs, which, as Coase noted, reduces firm size, thus
*increasing* the prevalence of markets where asset calculation by
larger firms occurred before. In other words, in a world of
increasing global internetworking, a geodesic market, resulting,
ultimately, in a geodesic society.

In our nascent geodesic society, machines are only just learning to
operate by themselves, and are beginning do most of the work. Soon,
when they learn enough financial cryptography to buy and sell goods
and services from each other without much human intervention, they
will operate as their own economic entities, and firms will continue
to get smaller, with increasingly smaller device size, until some
practical limit to the dis-economies of scale of Moore's law presents
itself. Probably, though necessarily, as a result of the size of the
machinery and facilities necessary to fabricate smaller and smaller
microprocessors, facilities which are currently measured in the
single-billion-dollar range, and not expected to exceed the
hundred-billion-dollar range, some 10 to 15 years away. Of course,
nanotechnology could increase this technology asymptote, with,
ironically, geodesic structures made out of carbon, "bucky-tube"
transistors, named after Buckminster Fuller are proving to be quite
small and efficient, if they can eventually be "grown", near their
point use, instead of built and shipped there from some large
chip-fab somewhere.

Until machines "learn" profit and loss, machines will be, um, lorded
over :-), by mechanics (hackers, of course), who, in this phase of
man's evolution are the people who are experiencing the greatest
increases in income and the people who create the most wealth. As a
result, mechanics are increasingly less "farmed" by people we call
managers, who, in turn, are even less occasionally "hunted" and
"gathered" by aristocrats -- senior managers, asset speculators, and,
of course, modern "princes" in the form of the operators of
nation-states, unions, and various "quasi" non-governmental
organizations, who, in practice, are neither quasi nor
non-governmental. All of whom are followed around by various
scavengers who try to make sense of it all after the fact: the
academy, various bits of the bureaucracy, artists, and, the ultimate
scavengers, shamans and religious culture. Scientists, of course, are
the dominant scavenger in present society, because they're the ones
who teach the hackers how to make the most money, just as bureaucrats
did for farmers, and shamans did for hunter-gatherers.

Cheers,
RAH

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@ibuc.com>