Brian Holmes on Mon, 27 May 2002 18:06:57 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Zagreb interview with Michael Hardt

Ognjen Strpic wrote:

"if the problem with multitude is only in
not-precise-enough-formulation, your conclusion may be premature.
that is, maybe an equally theoretically strong and appealing version
of the notion of multitude can be proposed that would avoid those ...
unpleasant developments. if so, the wholesale abandonment would be
unnecessary."

Whooaa! You missed my conclusion. I didn't say I wanted to dump "the
notion of multitude[s]," but I do think it's time to go beyond this
IMAGE of a spontaneous, swirling force that brings together teamsters
and turtles. It's time to start making the concept of the multitudes
work, beyond its "ferocious ontological optimism" (Pascal Nicolas-Le
Strat). The optimism says: we don't have to conceive an essentially
stupid mass that can only be shaped by hegemonic concepts into a
People following a party program; instead we can achieve a new kind
of collective intelligence. That's great, it's a beginning. What I
said was: "The promise of the multitude is that of an operative
intelligence of individuals and small groups, able to generate agency
through the networked extension of an almost personal trust, which is
based both on continuous critical debate and on cooperative action."

The networked extension is the key thing: what's critical now is the
question of the very large scale, and the notion of the multitudes
says that you can bring the small scale up to become the large one.
The experimentation of the recent counter-globalization protest
movements and the social forums shows that things can really be done
along those lines. Now it's important to start asking: what can and
can't be achieved? Can the spontaneous/critical collaborations
involve people outside the far left, immaterial laboring, new-media
types who have adopted the notion of the multitudes? Can that notion
open up the time and desire it would take to go through all the
historical and cultural discussions of race-nation-class that are
necessary steps on the way to fully realizing what's promised in the
word: all-inclusivity? Then on another level, are we talking about a
theory of global civil society, as a counter-power in tension with
administrative structures which are thereby critiqued and improved?
Or are we talking, over the middle and long term, about a possible
new way of organizing redistribution, as well as (oh that nasty word)
control of the big capitalist predators? One more question: how to
cooperate with people who just don't buy the notion - yet whose goals
converge, to some degree, with those who do?

The answers make a huge difference. Of course these are "just"
theoretical arguments. The experiments should go on, and I think that
the stress on open, critical cooperation ensures that they are not
fascistic. But it doesn't ensure that they're not naive. What's going
to happen as the protests and radical demands go further is that
they're going to provoke fascist reactions, which will be
instrumentalized by the police states of authoritarian neoliberalism.
So over the middle term, the ability to articulate answers to the
theoretical questions, and to defend those answers in public so that
it convinces lots of people to refuse the police state, will be
extremely important, for the entire leftist movement. A
"theoretically strong and appealing version of the notion of
multitude" could help to make or break the whole effort to go beyond
the present, drastically unsatisfying condition of mass-mediated
representative democracy, run mainly by unelected administrators for
increasingly capitalist ends, within the exclusive, racist borders of
sovereign national collectivities.

Brian Holmes