Curt Hagenlocher on Mon, 27 May 2002 08:07:13 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> hollywood, hollings, hole digest [hagenlocher x2]

     [digested @ nettime]

Curt Hagenlocher <curth@motek.com>
     RE: <nettime> Hollywood thinks Hollings moves too slowly
     Plugging the Analog Hole

From: Curt Hagenlocher <curth@motek.com>
Subject: RE: <nettime> Hollywood thinks Hollings moves too slowly
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 09:23:10 -0700

> Doctorow's hyperbole on the subject is pretty over the top, though a
> couple of good examples are listed.  For instance, your digital camera
> refuses to record your child's first steps because he happens to take them
> in front of a television tuned to some broadcast or other.

The answer is simple: Kill your television.

I'm as disgusted with the naked greed of the content distribution
industry as anyone else.  But I understand their fear: without the
ability to leech off the income produced by the actual content
creators, many of these people might be suddenly living on the
streets -- without their Armani, Prada or Range Rover.  Or make a
half-step upwards in respectability and become political figures.
And property values here in Los Angeles would fall enough so that
I could actually afford to buy a place to live.  No, no.  We can't
have that.

These people have been trying to kill the human spirit and kill
honest creativity for years now, and they haven't succeeded yet.
And they never will.  Stop consuming their carefully tailored
pap.  Seek out unique and distinctive art that isn't created as
part of an "industry".  Better yet, produce some art on your own.

Yes, it's worth fighting our would-be masters on this issue --
to show them where the true power lies, to stop the rapid growth
of corporate hegemony and to prevent incursions into our freedoms.
The only power that a consumer has in its relationship with a
producer is to choose not to consume.  Or to threaten to stop
consuming.

Tilt at the Hollywood windmill.  And encourage others to do so, too.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curth@motek.com