anne-marie on Mon, 20 May 2002 06:13:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Learning from Prada (PART 1)

Perhaps you are right we are heading this direction(at least at meta
level) and veering away from VR or the Web but in addition to the
Jaron Lanieresque evangelical euphoria about virtual reality in the
1990's, (offset by the gritty implementation of online 3-D games
which plotted their own trajectories quite far from utopian visions
of VR), I  also remember  a lot of hype back then about the "cyborg"
and the "body", from writing of Donna Haraway to experiments with
mobile augmented wearable technology coming out of MIT and lots of
talk about ubiquitous computing and fuzzy logic house-hold
appliances--washing machines and coffee makers.(In graduate school at
CADRE we were experimenting with alphanumerical networked
pagers--transforming them from drug dealer toys into something else,
writing little games to send out on them, modifying their appearance
to be cute and pretty, hacking their sound chips..)--this doesnt seem
a new paradigm either--arent we already well within this paradigm
just as long as we have been online?

Augemented space does not seem any less potentially "domesticated" or
mundane or commercial than "virtual" space.  It depends what happens
"there"

Searching for the new dominant trend is an interesting game though.
Seems science fiction writers are always ahead of the game. Have been
a big fan of Octavia Butler for a while, especially her older
books--am less and less into VR Sci Fi like Pat Cadigan. I just want
to read about bodies morphing and gene splicing african dieties  and
hyper intelligent genetically modified animals and 3 gendered
aliens.(Sherri S. Tepper is my new addiction.) Your overlaying data
layers over physical space may be useful, although risks intitiating
artificial barriers. look forward to seeing it developed more.

-A.M. Schleiner

>Lev Manovich (www.manovich.net)
>
>The Poetics of Augmented Space: Learning from Prada
>[May 2002]
>

>PART 1: Augmented Space
>[posted 5/16/02]
 <...>