Rob Van Kranenburg on Fri, 10 May 2002 12:36:14 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> New beginnings begin by watching ways of walking.

New beginnings begin by ways of walking II.

"Now the hardness of this world slowly grinds your dreams away, making a
fools joke of the promises we make"  - Bruce Springsteen.

Let's puzzle our way into this:

"A new generation of communications  scholars (spawned from the rapid
expansion of university communications programs) is emerging as more
Net-literate than their
predecessors and is contributing to the acceleration in the changing
research agenda." according to Mary Griffith and Susan Yell in 'The
Politics of New Media Research: Methodologies, Debates and Practices'.

True. What is that as long as the definitions of research within that
agenda stay as rigid, as exclusive, as impotent as they are now?

Is it imaginable that we -we who deal in discourse in the end- could ever
welcome methods that work very well thank you when dealing with machines?:

Boosting is a " general method for producing a very accurate
classification rule by combining rough and moderately inaccurate "rules of
thumb."  While rooted in a theoretical framework of machine learning,
boosting has been found to perform quite well empirically."

Boosting seems to work very well in designing shopping:

"Shoppers headed for the West Seattle Thriftway Wednesday can leave their
credit cards, debit cards and checks at home. They just need to make sure
to bring their index fingers.

The supermarket will be the first in Washington and one of the first in
the nation to use a biometrics system -- finger scanning -- to tie
consumers to their credit cards, electronic benefit cards and checking
accounts, says the maker of the system, Indivos of Oakland, Calif.

"The main thing is, it's fast, it's easy, and it's secure," says Paul
Kapioski, West Seattle Thriftway owner.

Consumers enroll in the system by putting their index finger on an image
reader, which runs digital information for 13 points on the finger through
a formula, and stores the encrypted information on Indivos servers.
Consumers register whichever cards or accounts they want associated with
their finger scan.

"It takes about one minute to enroll," Kapioski said.  "

Boosting seems to work very well in designing watching ways of walking:

"Mark Nixon may be one of the pioneers of gait-recognition technology, but
he credits Shakespeare with the idea: "Great Juno comes; I know her by her
gait," cries Ceres in The Tempest.

DARPA is two-year-old $50-million Human ID at a Distance program. And
while automated face recognition receives the most attention, DARPA is
also funding efforts at a handful of universities to identify people
through their body language. The theory is simple: in the same way that
each person has a unique signature or fingerprint, each person also has a
unique walk. The trick is to take this body language and translate it into
numbers that a computer can recognize.

One approach is to create a "movement signature" for each person."

Boosting seems to work very well in designing financial strategy:

"For example, security guard Trinidad Casas of San Antonio began selling
blood four times a month to make up the difference left from the privately
financed scholarship his son gets to attend the Christian Academy of San
Antonio. He also tries to work as much overtime as possible to earn
tuition money."

It works wonders in timetravel:

"RELEASE 2002-063: FORMER NASA EMPLOYEE PLEADS GUILTY TO TIMECARD FRAUD

On April 25, 2002, Barbara S. Simms, a former Program Assistant in NASA's
Training and Development Division of NASA Headquarters, pled guilty to one
count of theft.  Simms pled guilty in the United States District Court,
District of Columbia, to altering her time and attendance reports and
being paid based on the altered reports.  Simms
will be sentenced on July 10, 2002"

Somewhat less in swimming in shark infested waters, but as Fiona puts it:

> I'll be curious to hear the circumstances, but privately, among us shark
lovers, am I allowed to say it... if ya gotta go at 23... what a way to
go..."

Boosting helps us live through the experience of wondering who's offending
who:

"Dear colleagues,
I heard that there was a letter quoted on Fox News in the Wall Street
Journal recently in which the spokesperson for a Native-American group
objected to the use of "powwow" in that newspaper.

Can anyone give me a date and page number in the Wall Street Journal for
the letter and the offending article(s).

Also I'd be interested in any comments or other references relevant to
this.

Which native American languages have words related to powwow? Have there
been other objections to its use? Is it a free for all to use term now?
What is its appeal now? Can it be considered patronizing?"

Somebody's got to cry some tears, I guess it must be up to me. I sing with
Bob.

"A new generation of communications  scholars (spawned from the rapid
expansion of university communications programs) is emerging as more
Net-literate than their
predecessors and is contributing to the acceleration in the changing
research agenda." according to Mary Griffith and Susan Yell in 'The
Politics of New Media Research: Methodologies, Debates and Practices'.

Show me.

I don't see them. I don't hear them. I don't see them leading anywhere.

Not even trying to.

Lead.

And what do they do on May 1?

They make sure they are still there:

"Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:10:08 EDT
From: name AOL USER <Selefeb@AOL.COM>
To: CYBERMIND@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Test
   2 Shown    1 lines  Text

Just making sure I was still here."

Well, could I not go out and find a bar, and a counter and someone behind
that counter and say:

"One espresso, please."

A good line to start out with, anytime.

Ghent, May 14, Rob.

  Bruce Springsteen, Blood Brothers, Greatest Hits, Columbia, 1995.
  Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 02:36:23 +1000 From: Ned Rossiter
<Ned.Rossiter@arts.monash.edu.au> Reply-To: "CULTSTUD-L: A listserv
devoted to Cultural Studies" <cultstud-l@lists.acomp.usf.edu> To:
"CULTSTUD-L: A listserv devoted to Cultural Studies"
<cultstud-l@lists.acomp.usf.edu> Subject: [cultstud-l] CFP: The Politics
of New Media Research: Methodologies, Debates and Practices. Call for
Papers Southern Review: Communication, Politics & Culture Special Issue
35.3, 2002
  Ben Taskar <btaskar@Robotics.Stanford.EDU> To :
<broad-area-cs-colloquium@lists.Stanford.EDU> Subject :  Broad Area
Colloquium, Apr 29: Robert Schapire 	 Date :  	Mon, 29 Apr 2002
11:41:19 -0700 (PDT). The Boosting Approach to Machine Learning, Robert
Schapire,  AT&T Labs.
  Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 04:15:35 +0100 From: andrew hennessey
<a.hennessey@btopenworld.com>Reply-To: fsml@yahoogroups.com To:
fsml@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [fsml] The latest way to pay is at our fingertips . The latest
way to pay is at our fingertips By JANE HADLEY SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
CONSUMER AFFAIRS REPORTER Saturday, April 27, 2002.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/68217_thumb27.shtml
  Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 04:10:49 +0100 From: andrew hennessey
<a.hennessey@btopenworld.com> Reply-To: fsml@yahoogroups.com To:
fsml@yahoogroups.com Subject: [fsml] Walk This Way. Walk This Way
http://www.techreview.com/articles/wo_cameron042302.asp. By David Cameron
April 23, 2002
  Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:36:36 -0700 From: Horace W Coleman
<hcoleman4@juno.com> Reply-To: thinktank@yahoogroups.com To:
thinktank@yahoogroups.com Subject: ThinkTank-l Reading, Writing and
Religion. Reading, Writing and Religion [USA Today] 04/30/2002 - Updated
03:18 AM ET
Churches heed a calling to educate poor children. By Tamara Henry, USA
TODAY
  NASAOIG@hq.nasa.gov  Subject :  	RELEASE 2002-063: FORMER NASA
EMPLOYEE PLEADS GUILTY TO TIMECARD FRAUD 	  Date :
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:35:20 -0400 (EDT). National Aeronautics and Space
Administration, Office of Inspector General, Washington, D.C. 20546, April
30, 2002. For more information on this release, please call Charles E.
Coe,
Acting Assistant Inspector General for Investigations, at (202) 358-
2573.
  Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:39:10 -0400 From: Fiona Webster
<fi@oceanstar.com> To: SHARK-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: Fatal attack,
30th April 2002