nettime's_fold@idl.net.au_digest on Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:44:19 +0200 (CEST)

Refugee Embassy Report <nettime> anti-terrorism bill

   Refugee Embassy Report
     Dave/Ross <fold@idl.net.au>

   anti-terrorism bill
     Dave/Ross <fold@idl.net.au>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:35:52 +1000
From: Dave/Ross <fold@idl.net.au>
Subject: Refugee Embassy Report

Dave here, on Saturday, 20 April, with a Woomera update.

Things have levelled off a bit here.  There continue to be radio
stations, etc. that call for interviews, as well as a lot of mail to
answer.  However, Ross and I are starting to have more relaxed
evenings together.

Our hopes of eventually getting inside to visit detainees took a
nosedive this week when Paul Boylan (one of the volunteer lawyers,
with whom Ross spoke just before he went to the centre to deliver
some gifts to a detainee) was banned from visiting on the grounds
that there was glass in the frame of the photo he delivered.
(Someone has said that they will ban people for wearing watches with
glass in them, or spectacles with glass in them next!)

We are hoping to discuss with the lawyers next week how PAUL is going
to go about getting the ban reversed.  If they, with all their legal
expertise and all the media pressure supporting them, are having
these problems, and especially if they cannot get the ban reversed,
then we have Buckley's chance of getting ours reversed.

We have mostly been sending letters (dozens of them) to the detainees
this week, but so far it looks like none have gotten through.  We
paid $10 for a special service where the post office informs the
centre manager that he must come in to the post office to sign for a
letter (ours to him, which also includes a stack of letters to be
delivered to detainees) as proof that he has received it.  So far, he
has not turned up to collect it.  (Could be that he has an idea about
who it would be from!)

We have heard from others that they have received no mail from
Woomera since Easter.  Can others let us know how it is going with
you?  If you have been corresponding with inmates, have you received
any mail since Easter?  Were you receiving mail BEFORE Easter?  We
are trying to determine if ALL mail is being intercepted.  The same
may be the case with people who have been cleared for phone calls to
detainees.  Have you been able to get through since Easter?  Please
let us know, so that we will not be guilty of making false
assumptions.

Nevertheless, with regard to visits, here's the situation as we see it now:

Yes, we can stay on here and still accomplish a lot of good, and we
pretty much plan to do that.  However, rightly or wrongly, our
actions have resulted in us getting banned from visiting, and very
possibly from writing to or phoning detainees, whether or not they
request our visits/mail/phone calls.  Some people have criticised us
for being too impatient, for speaking out to the media, etc.  There
is a lot of truth in that.  Any true embassy must be extremely
diplomatic and tactful.  We have not been.

But no point in crying over spilt milk,  It's possible that we would
be no farther along than we are now (possibly even worse off) if we
HAD taken the softer line too.  Different strokes for different folks.

But that should not stop someone ELSE from coming along with a whole
new approach, and seeing if they can open the door.

Sooner or later we are going to need a replacement up here.  Rather
than wait until the last minute, we need to advertise that vacancy
NOW.  I am a writer, and so I have been able to sit in the little
room we have here for $85 a week, and do a lot of my normal workload
on the laptop computer along with everything else that is going on.
Maybe there is someone else in a similar situation (or a housewife,
unemployed person, or whatever) who could consider a month or more
out here doing what both Ross and I have personally found to be a
very satisfying and rewarding job.  (There have been a lot of
compliments and praise, and we've really enjoyed that too!)  Our
basic needs have been met by donations, which, hopefully will
continue... especially if someone can actually start visiting on a
regular basis.  I'd pay the expenses myself if I could just to see
someone getting inside and giving some regular encouragement to the
people in there.

So how about some applicants for the position?  If you can say that
you were NOT at the Easter demonstrations (I don't know whether they
would be able to prove otherwise anyway.) it would probably be a plus
point for getting official approval.  We would like someone who will
be happy not to speak "directly" to the media (as I have done), and
even to be careful about saying anything too negative here locally.
Surely there must be somone who could do this!  If you've already
been corresponding with someone inside, that too would be a big help
in getting started.

Now for a budget report.  We checked the account on Friday, and there
was $925 in it, broken down thusly:  $500 from the Hunter Valley
Quakers, $250 from the HOPE (Hunter Organism for Peace and Equity)
team (I think the Newcastle Uni Students Association may have been
the main donor for that.), $100 from Anita and Bob Berghout, and $75
from I'm not sure who.  There were a couple of people who said they
were going to put a few dollars in, but they may have gone into the
wrong account.  As long as you gave Westpac Bank the right name (Ross
Parry), you should be able to get them to transfer the money to the
correct account, if you explain the mistake.  The correct account is:

Branch No. 735065, Account No. 544823.  (The error earlier was that
the second "4" appeared as a "9".)  It's a Westpac account.

Our phone number is 0407-238805.

Till next time....

Stay faithful!

Love and peace,