nettime's_solar_anus on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 05:54:35 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> sunshine on my spreadsheet digest [t barlow x2, bc x 2, leszi x1]

Toby Barlow <toby@solararmy.org>
     Re: <nettime>  Re: the development of a solar infrastructure
bc <human@electronetwork.org>
     Re: <nettime>  Re: the development of a solar infrastructure
bc <human@electronetwork.org>
     For the Record: lunar digestive tract
"Leszi" <arcadia@lynchburg.net>
     Re: <nettime> Re: solar infrastructure
Toby Barlow <toby@solararmy.org>
     Re: <nettime>  Re: the development of a solar infrastructure

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:09:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Toby Barlow <toby@solararmy.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime>  Re: the development of a solar infrastructure

Wow, what a trip. Please, before I waste any more of
your time, LOOK AT THE SITE, solar bonds are energy
bonds, bundling conservation and, in some cases, wind
to make the economies work. The math is very tight,
that's why the comptroller of San Francisco endorsed
Prop B.

As to the powers that be, well, bring 'em on.

The "mining of raw materials" issue you bring up is
enormously irrelevant. You're going to compare
silicon, the second most common element on earth, to
uranium?

As for the regions, last time I checked there was sun
everywhere. Germany has a lot more solar than we do
and they're located farther north in a cloudy climate.
And they're pretty damn smart when it comes to
allocating their technological resources.

Again, check out the site. Goodnight.

--- bc <human@electronetwork.org> wrote:

> [...]
> .biz)
>   of the energy markets, and, in pragmatic
> circumstance,
>   is seemingly unlikely to have critical mass (less,
> is the
>   'solar' bonds, as something like this is not
> universal in
>   its application, as only a portion of a country or
> region
>   can use solar for self-sufficiency, it is not
> plug-&-play).
>

> >While weather patterns may change, a sudden influx
> of
> >cloudy days, even if it's thirty percent more,
> would
> >still leave you with ten or so free years of
> energy.
> >If it's more than thirty percent, we're all screwed
> >anyway.
>
>   my delay in responding was i was trying to locate
> an
>   architectural chart of regional sun and cloudcover
> stat-
>   istics to demonstrate that solar technology is a
> science,
>   whereby like the old sliderule books of
> calculations, an
>   area will have specific attributes that are
> necessary in
>   making a judgement of whether or not solar will be
>   viable alternative, by weather statistics.
> meaning, the
>   above '30% more cloudy days = 10 years free
> energy'
>   is highly questionable given the subject. doesn't
> add up
>   to the way the technology works, when it does
> work,
>   or so it seems. (and there are solar 'off grid'
> people
>   on the list, i gather, who might share their
> experience).
>
>   the point being that if you took a geographic
> region, say
>   california, and put solar panels over the entire
> area, in
>   some places, it might be of great benefit, of
> others, it
>   might be of wasted benefit but if optimized it
> might do
>   what it can do efficiently, and in other areas, it
> may
>   not be productive at all, as the climate is not
> right for
>   the universal roll out of solar (or wind, or even
> coal,
>   natural gas, oil, nuclear, hydro, wave, biomass,
> geo...)
>
>   this is the reason that 'energy bonds' may bring
> more
>   people into your initiative than solar alone. as
> it is a
>   highly variable technology, given local
> circumstances.
>   whereas energy, as energy, is a universal
> situation,
>   people need it, it needs to change in many ways,
> and
>   to change it requires people, and people who can

=== message truncated ===

=====
Toby Barlow
250 Texas St. SF CA 94107
(415) 385-6679 cell
(415) 863-4069 home
(415) 733-0783 work
tobybarlowny@yahoo.com

http://sports.yahoo.com

>Wow, what a trip. Please, before I waste any more of
>your time, LOOK AT THE SITE, solar bonds are energy
>bonds, bundling conservation and, in some cases, wind
>to make the economies work. The math is very tight,
>that's why the comptroller of San Francisco endorsed
>Prop B.
>
>As to the powers that be, well, bring 'em on.
>
>The "mining of raw materials" issue you bring up is
>enormously irrelevant. You're going to compare
>silicon, the second most common element on earth, to
>uranium?
>
>As for the regions, last time I checked there was sun
>everywhere. Germany has a lot more solar than we do
>and they're located farther north in a cloudy climate.
>And they're pretty damn smart when it comes to
>allocating their technological resources.
>
>Again, check out the site. Goodnight.

  i did check out the site, the positions are
  still relevant, solar is not the same word
  as energy, the sun is not everywhere in
  the same intensity, nor wind, and the mining
  of raw materials (and silicon for that matter)
  are very toxic processes (go visit a semi-
  conductor plant without a bunnysuit and a
  breather and see you in the morgue) and no
  universal solar value/return exists the same
  everywhere, these are facts. having done
  solar calculations for building designs in a
  specific climate and knowing it is site- and
  region-specific, it is hard to dismiss this
  and take the utopian view of one solar panel
  works the same as another, anywhere in
  the world. regional maps (& actual statistics
  about specific areas) would show where solar
  and wind are and are not viable alternatives.
  that was/is the point. thus, the importance
  of reframing common issues in common terms,
  such as 'energy'. but, you're on the ground, on
  a balletbox issue in SF, and good luck to you.
  hope it works out in the larger sense, voting
  for minds to consider these issues in more detail.
bc