Bill Spornitz on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:07:50 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: the wireless future at Davos Uptown

It may just be the Cariboo[1] metabolites floating in my bloodstream
fogging my mardi gras morning, but I'm having a hard time believing
what I'm reading here.

You're telling me that these people are so cynical as to hand out a
stupid and useless piece of garbage to the world's decision makers,
proudly print their names on the tote bags and that the system
failure as regards this deployment was *enterprise-wide*?

Wait a minute...

I went to the AvantGo website and they tell me that

28 of the Fortune 100 (whatever that is) use AvantGo solutions

with clients like NASA and FORD and the United States Senate. See?
They are a real company.

I went to the Accenture website and they told me that

Accenture has the global resources and a collaborative network of
businesses and capabilities to deliver innovative solutions for our
clients.

Innovative solutions are what we need in an ever-changing world,
that's for sure... and collaborations...

Then I went to the Microsoft website and they told me that

Microsoft's vision is to empower people through great software - any
time, any place and on any device. As the worldwide leader in
software for personal and business computing, Microsoft strives to
produce innovative products and services that meet our customers'
evolving needs. At the same time, we understand that long-term
success is about more than just making great products.

Clearly, even the great and powerful Oz deserves to be empowered
through great software - any time, any place and on any device - on
devices like the ipaq (imac?) btw, Compaq tells us that

Ipaq is a family of innovative, personal devices which let you take
advantage of he Internet, make life easier and keep you in control.

See? The great Lord Bono (did you see him at the superbowl? Was he
sweating all over the american flag? Is that a slur?) anyway, _all_
our Lords and Ladies need to be in control, from anywhere, on any
device, plus you gotta figure in their *evolving needs* - this would
include further empowerment and innovation, no?

Actually it's pretty clear. It's a crisis of responsibility, isn't
it? - I imagine down at porto alegre people were doing a lot of
talking about taking responsibility. At Davos Uptown, not even the
major sponsors have a popcorn-fart of a clue about that most
superficial and banal responsibility - the responsibility of not
wasting other peoples' valuable time and resources. Twisted Cynical
Bastards.

grumpily

[1] Cariboo - a fortified wine served in mass quantities at the
Festival du Voyageur, on all this week, up here in the Ether City...

At 9:46 PM -0800 2/10/02, Brad DeLong wrote:

>>   And
>>did you get the free Compaq WinCE handheld?
>
>Yes...
>
>>Did yours work?
>
>No. But I didn't really expect it to. By the time I picked mine up, the
 <...>