nettime's_inspector on Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:23:49 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> digesting the WTC [metzger, solomon]

"rebecca metzger" <rmetzger@ncac.org>
     Turning September 11 into Souvenirs -- Business As Usual?
"A. Solomon" <anita.solomon@verizon.net>
     Voices Unite for Memorial

From: "rebecca metzger" <rmetzger@ncac.org>
Subject: Turning September 11 into Souvenirs -- Business As Usual?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:12:52 -0500

Dear Friends,

Please join this week's discussion at: http://www.ncac.org/discus

Turning September 11 into Souvenirs -- Business As Usual?

It is no surprise that pictures of the World Trade Center towers in
their former glory were hawked everywhere in the wake of September 11.
Now there are pictures documenting the event, "souvenirs" to be made
from the rubble (proceeds to go to a noble cause), and little replicas
of the damaged towers. If the countless photographs taken of the scene
of the disaster were, possibly, a way of coming to terms with the
incomprehensibility of the event, then are the sales of related objects
its ultimate integration into life, that is, business as usual in the
United States?

For more on this subject, see:

New York Times, "To Some, A Scarred Model Represents a Fresh Attack" by
Denny Lee (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/27/nyregion/27FIGU.html)

Chronicle Review, "The Day Time Stopped" by Marianne Hirsch
(http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i20/20b01101.htm)

http://www.ncac.org/projects/art_now/main.html -- The National Coalition
Against Censorship's Art Now project registers artistic responses to the
events of September 11 and their aftermath and hosts a conversation on
the ethical, political and historical aspects of creative expression in
times of crisis.