robert adrian on Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:49:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Carl Loeffler

Genevieve Tremblay wrote:
>I was fortunate enough to work for Carl Loeffler as an
>editorial intern at ArtCom in 1983 and was not aware that
>he had died. Was this ever confirmed? The emails seem
>rather unsure on this point.

Some private correspondence followed the Nettime discussion
about the reports of Carl's death - including a mail from
Fred Truck confirming the reports. (See excerpt below.)

>From Fred Truck <fjt@netins.net>
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:45:38:

"....... I set a different direction for myself in about
1994, though it took awhile to materialize it. I kept in
touch with Carl. He went into business. He had different
explanations for it, but business was what he was doing.
He did research in the beginning in VR at Carnegie Mellon,
and then spun that into a series of small businesses.
I talked to him a couple of times on the phone, but really
wasn't interested in what he had to offer. Then, after a
long series of basically silly and amusing letters over
time, I didn't hear from him for a long period. About a
year ago, I wrote and asked how he was, and he said he
had been in the hospital. He gave me some clues as to
his condition, but at the same time, contradicted them.
I thought it was a very serious illness. Again, I didn't
hear from him for a few months, so I asked again how he
was. He said he'd been in the hospital again. Again, more
clues and more contradictions. I thought he was terminal,
and said so to some mutual friends in San Francisco, but
no one seemed to know any more than I did. Then...

...on February 8th, I was in New York for the opening of
a show at PS1/MoMA that I am in, ALMOST WARM & FUZZY:
Contemporary Art and Childhood. I went to some events,
and had a great time, but I kept thinking about Carl. He
didn't like New York at all. When I returned home a couple
of days later, I had e-mail waiting that said he had died.

Very sad. Carl created a lot of conflict in his environment,
but I tell you the world is worse off without him. He
managed to mobilize a lot of people, and gather resources
together for projects he believed in, for things that he
envisioned. A lot of people, myself included, benefited
from this. And I believe a larger audience is out there
and will benefit from our efforts without really having
had the opportunity to participate in them. ......"