Alessandro Ludovico on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:28:26 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> first (italian) emendment: Free speech is forbidden on the Net !

From: Ferry Byte <ferry.byte@ecn.org>
--

first (italian) emendment: Free speech is forbidden on the Net !

The above sentence sounds as a rule for Italian police, justice and
government as free speech and dissident are nowdays counteracted in
Italy by any means

New legislative measures - on copyright, publishing industries,
police controls, but also monitoring and intimidation procedures have
been recenlty used to infringe protests' privacy taking a deep look
at their chat-tools, mailing-lists, mailboxes etc. along with
inquiries concerning every kinds of people involved in net-jokes or
real protest (an animal-rights supporter site has been closed because
of a single page considered a libel one, but also other Web sites
dealing for example with supposed saint or bonsai-kitten)

Two specific polital persecutions on the Net involve us directly: the
first one relates a fascist thug named Caradonna that wants 129.000
of Euro to be forgotten while the second one relates the suppression
of the right to netstrike - a new telematic way to organize a
political march (also known as virtual sit-in)

For these reasons we invite You to "take a look" at us not only as a
show of solidarity but also because on our site - and expecially by
our mailing-lists - you can find news on these emerging kinds of
censorships; but first of all we advise You to have the right idea of
this "good-looking" country

no-profit organization "Isole nella Rete"
[ http://www.ecn.org ] [ mailto:inr@ecn.org ]

(press release in occasion of the first Italian Cyberspace Law
Conference - www.iclc.org edition)

Ferry Byte della comunita' cyber-rights di Isole nella Rete
Key fingerprint =  A5 F9 A5 D3 35 70 BF 25  25 90 C1 18 ED B8 AC 64

              ,::.
           n-:;:;.'  http://strano.net/mutante
          /_\ `;:.'
         |~~~|  ``'