calin on Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:28:29 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Chile Night

it might be of a broader interest to find more about this event (see quote
bellow). i recently flew to canada and been amazed at the unpleasant behavior
of the customs and immigration personnel, although my previous experiences at
various US borders should have prepared me better. is all that based on the
strange assumption that any person visiting US + Canada is a potential illegal
immigrant? that  non-Americans cannot detect any other reason to travel all
that way but to compensate for some economic mishaps at home? inferiority
complex translated into law?

it was however refreshing to see how little patience West Europeans had in that
humiliating situation - somehow new for them - while Easterners (of all colors)
were taking the event with fatalism.

Calin