Josephine Bosma on Wed, 31 Oct 2001 01:53:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> review of 386 DX

hello nettimers.

When I recently spoke to Robert Adrian about a review I wrote about
Alexei Shulgin's 386 DX's cd on rhizome he advised me to post the review
to nettime. I can't do that because the text was 'commissioned' by
rhizome, but of course I would like to share this text with you in some
way.

The text starts like this:
It's here: the CD of Alexei Shulgin's cyberpunkband 386 DX. After years
of begging and pushing by his fans Shulgin decided to approach
Staalplaat music publishers when he was in Berlin to give a concert
early this year. Recorded in London like every respectable music CD,
this CD is not just another collection of music on another silver disc
though: you can boot your computer from it and have your own 386 DX.
Ready for performance, ready to create both sound and vision in early
computer aesthetics. The CD contains an illegal copy of an early version
of Windows (3.1)and you can run your computer with it. But most
importantly the CD contain cyberpunkband 386 DX's most popular tunes:
pop songs from the last thirty years played and sung by a computer.

You can find the entire text at:
http://rhizome.org/object.rhiz?2793

best,

*