integer on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:20:32 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> [ot] [!nt] \n2+0\ in the air. on + under water.

[u!l dze us.gov kare +? ne. = onl! sc!ent!ztz]

Pirates attack US research ship off Somalia

MARK SCHROPE

A US oceanography research ship has been attacked by pirates in the Gulf of
Aden ‹ leading its managers to rethink their plans for studying salinity
flows in the region.  Unknown, heavily armed assailants pursued the Maurice
Ewing research vessel in a small boat for a harrowing 20 minutes in waters
30 kilometres off the coast of Somalia on 31 August. No crew members were
hurt and the ship was not damaged.

..

"I was frightened, and in a state of disbelief," says Amy Bower of Woods
Hole, chief scientist on the mission. "Although I was well aware that this
was a region known for piracy, I couldn't believe that our vessel would
ever come under fire."