ricardo dominguez on Tue, 7 Aug 2001 01:43:47 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Stop the G8: Online Demonstration Scheduled

Stop the G8: Online Demonstration Scheduled

Contact: Isaac Keyes, isaac_keyes@hushmail.com

>>> Stop the G8
>>> www.cipherwar.com
>>> Press release #001

Online Demonstration: 31 August, 2001

Stop the G8 - a new activist site

Stop the G8 is a new website dedicated to the international struggle
against the G8, WTO and all other major neo-liberal, capitalist
institutions around the world.

This is truly an international struggle. We have seen the effects after
neo-liberalism across the globe; unemployment, global poverty, reduced
global public health and public safety. We have seen protesters from every
corner of this planet join the demonstrations in Seattle, Gothenburg,
Genoa and Prague. And now we´ve taken this struggle to the internet in the
shape of this website as a part of what will be the longest online protest
campaign ever. We will bring you news, demonstration information from the
streets and tools and information for a successful online campaign.

We will not only host online actions and demonstrations against the G8 in
Canada 2002 (we´re planning to organize actions every second month against
that meeting until it´s over), but also organize actions against every
major summit until then.

//Isaac Keyes
Project Coordinator
isaac_keyes@hushmail.com

Online Demonstration: 31 August, 2001

The first online demonstration will be held on 31 August at @791-916
against the official Canadian G8 site: (http://www.g8.gc.ca,
198.103.104.34).

What is an online demonstration?
The goal is to flood the website with requests until the server goes down,
this will not cause any permanent damage to the target, but it will serve as
a symbolic action, and that is enough to make the collective presence of
activists felt beyond the electronic networks.

How do I join?
On 31 August we´ll add a link to the front page of this website, and you
just have to click on that link in order to get some basic information. The
only thing you need to participate is a browser that supports frames.

What is @XXX?
@XXX is called Internet Time and is a universal timezone. The time is the
same all around the world, simplifying planning and coordination. On our
website there is a program to help you convert to and from Internet Time.

- EOF -

www.cipherwar.com/g8