dr woooo on Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:23:51 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> fwd : Call for an Anti-Capitalist Hacker Bloc (english)

Call for an Anti-Capitalist Hacker Bloc (english)

http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=48257&group=webcast
by hacktivists united 1:10pm Thu Jun 21 '01 (Modified on 10:53pm Thu Jun 21
'01)

June 25-27 IMF World Bank Meeting

NOW is the time for hackers to take up the struggle AGAINST capitalism and
FOR a world of freedom, creativity, care and cooperation. No longer can we
allow our talents to be abused and manipulated by corporations who want to
coopt hackers to use as their 'security teams'.

The IMF and World Bank are having an online meeting June 25 - 27. At their
meetings, they present and decide on policies that affect millions of people
all over the world. But those millions of people have no say in these
decisions.

The policies of the IMF and World Bank involve imposing Structural
Adjustment Programs (politically motivated domestic legislation) for
countries to which they give loans. (Note that these loans are usually to
pay off other loans, or to fund 'development projects' that benefit only
multinational corporations, and destroy local communities)

These policies are imperialist, racist, environmentally destructive and
economically unsound. It is time for hackers to take a stand against these
fucked up institutions.

This is a call for hackers to attack the June 25-27 online meeting of the
IMF and World Bank by any means necessary and to SHUT IT DOWN.

We will not be the lackeys of these corporate thugs any longer. Rise up in
resistance. Hack the IMF and World Bank online meeting!

add your own comments

Linked articles:

Call for an Anti-Capitalist Hacker Bloc (english) (full story)

Hactivism yeah! (english)
by Yuri Tremblay 1:36pm Thu Jun 21 '01

I know a lot of people have a grudge against denial of access as civil
disobedience. I think ive got something better to suggest, how about
combatting lies with truth?

NATO was killing civilians and it says it wars only on Milosevic? OOPS!
theres a link to dead bodies on *favorite corporate newscaster* `s website.
A corporate news site depicts protesters as mindless thugs? OOPS! a link to
activists website that clearly tells what they stand for.

Infowar, my friends

Hactivism yeah! (english)
by Yuri Tremblay 1:43pm Thu Jun 21 '01

I know a lot of people have a grudge against denial of access as civil
disobedience. I think ive got something better to suggest, how about
combatting lies with truth?

NATO was killing civilians and it says it wars only on Milosevic? OOPS!
theres a link to dead bodies on *favorite corporate newscaster* `s website.
A corporate news site depicts protesters as mindless thugs? OOPS! a link to
activists website that clearly tells what they stand for.

Infowar, my friends

Play chess (english)
by Harel Barzilai 1:47pm Thu Jun 21 '01
info@economicdemocracy.org

To play chess one must thing more than one step ahead. But let's even think
one single step ahead. Suppose it's shut down. Then what?

You surely don't think that that would be the end of world capitalism?

This is not to say the idea can no merits at all...it IS to say
that we had BETTER have some ideas of 'then what" by
which I mean POSITIVE STEPS....revolution
(which as we know, "not overnight comes revolution,
but rather it's an evolution") is not won by only
countering this and countering that...we have to
create positive institutions.

We at
EconomicDemocracy.org have some ideas. Others
have voiced some ideas too. Is there a sub-section
of the forums where long-term planning
of alternative institutions can be done?

By creating alternative institutions I mean
changing the facts on the ground in terms
of economic power which counters corporate
economic power, for example. Or creating
alternative-MASS-media with a reach of millions
so we're not asking "how can we get CNN to
cover us fairly" because millions and
tens of millions would already be watching/listening
to alternative media. Those are the kinds of goals
that we need to think about accomplishing.
Yes, there is a role for fighting WB meetings
and CNN coverage, but we must go way beyond that..

Peace,

HB

Please CC email info@economicdemocracy.org

EconomicDemocracy.org

re: chess? (english)
by kevin 3:05pm Thu Jun 21 '01
kevin_mcnicholl@hotmail.com

"To play chess one must thing more than one step ahead. But let's even think

one single step ahead. Suppose it's shut down. Then what?

You surely don't think that that would be the end of world capitalism? "

there are actually two ways to win a game of chess, firstly there is the one
you just stated, outwit them at their own game. however in the game of
global capitalism we have started off with fewer bits, and they are cheating
bastards. therefore the only way to combat this is to go with the second way
to win, dont allow the other player to think about the next move, by
stopping meetings like this.

www.snakewood.homepad.com

against enclosure: build the new commons (english)
by hydrarchist 3:28pm Thu Jun 21 '01

ECD actions may have some symbolic reasonance but the truth is that FloodNet
etc. are tragically flawed and ineffective, more likeluy to cause blockages
at the user's own end of the network than the target.

Constructing an infrastructural commons seems to me a more useful applicatio
of technical resources - writing software under the GPL, supporting the FSF,
scanning in usful content, essays, images, developing decntralised peer to
peer systems such as Freenet and Gnutella.... these are the processes that
threaten capital's cosy relationship with technology.

We must politicise the enclosure of intellectual property.

"The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goosefrom off the common
But leaves the greater villain loose
Who steals the common from off the goose.

The law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who take things that are yours andmine.

The poor and wretched don't escape
If they conspire the law to break;
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law.

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back."

Anon, 1821

for hydrarchist (english)
by Harel Barzilai 4:35pm Thu Jun 21 '01
hb@economicDemocracy.org

Sounds like we've got significant overlaps in vision -- could you
drop me a note at the above email on how you can be reachead --
we at EconomicDemocracy.org are working on strategic visions
along these lines..

Peace & Democracy,

Harel Barzilai

EconomicDemocracy.org

the people wont support hacking....... (english)
by fpi 5:49pm Thu Jun 21 '01

...and they're watching.

www.freepressinternational.com

If you want your suggestion heard... (english)
by J.R. 6:35pm Thu Jun 21 '01

...an even better place to post your request would be on the
newsgroups:

alt.2600
alt.hackers
alt.hacker
alt.security

etc...

I heard somewhere (english)
by none 10:02pm Thu Jun 21 '01

I heard somewhere that if someone looked, they could find an email bomb
program that sends thousands of bunk emails to certain targeted people. if
someone had this program, i suppose they could use it on the email addresses
of those people participating in the online summit. i'm not sure though.

some info (english)
by none 10:05pm Thu Jun 21 '01

"Sixteen tools have been identified as those actively distributed among
attackers, with many others
being discussed or suspected of already being deployed.

One such tool is called the EvilPing, believed to have been created
especially for this war. The tool
launches a "ping of death attack" that, when utilized by several users
against the same target,
crashes the system.

Then there is QuickFire, an attack tool that sends 32,000 e-mails to the
victim from what appears as
the same address. Used simultaneously by multiple attackers, the tool
crashes an e-mail server.

QuickFire strength is that it does not relent, continually firing off
thousands of e-mails until the
server is shut down and the address blocked. It is believed to be the tool
used for hack attacks on
the Israeli Foreign Ministry site and its webmaster’s e-mail address. "

this quote was found on this web site:
http://www.wired.com/news/lycos/0%2C1306%2C40449%2C00.html

I've Got An Idea (english)
by upton 10:53pm Thu Jun 21 '01

To me, the idea of hacking the WB's online meeting is elitist and
unproductive - only those with the resources and the know-how will be able
to participate, and crashing the meeting really won't accomplish anything,
as Harel alluded to in his posts. Perhaps we should be taking our message to
the people living in our own communities. Chances are that the people living
in your vicinity don't even know what the WB is, and if they do, they're
probably not well informed thanks to the media. So here's my idea: take
local issues and struggles and tie them into global economic issues. I
guarantee you'll be able to link the building of that new private prison in
your town to WB policies and neoliberalism in general. While I fully support
the hackers, the rest of us who won't be able to do so should be taking it
to our friends, family, neighbors, anyone who wants to listen. Just an idea.