David Garcia on Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:29:53 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Q re [Re: Microsoft Uses Open-Source <...>

I forwarded the original nettime posting to a friend in Glasgow University
Nick Bailey. He started a discussion with a friend of his and they sent me
back their thoughts which I thought to would feed back into the nettime
discussion.

David

   ----- Forwarded

   Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:11:34 +0200
   Subject: Re: <nettime> Microsoft Uses Open-Source Code Despite Denying Use
     of Such Software
   From: "David Garcia" <davidg@xs4all.nl>
   To: nettime@bbs.thing.net

   Interesting to muse about what would have happened if the IP code was under
   the GPL and not the FBSD licence: then the whole of windows (and by MSs own
   argument, all their applications and especially IE) would have to be open
   source too 8-)

   Nick

   Yep - we used to laugh at MS when they bought hotmail - took them 2 years
   to get _any_ windows servers into the system.  They've now pushed in 20%
   of win2k boxes, the rest still being FreeBSD.  Given win2k's IP code _is_
   freebsd's IP code - you've gotta wonder just how they've managed to wreck
   it so badly ;-)

   Billy

   Forwarded from Nick and Billy /Glasgow/ Nick Bailey
   <n.j.bailey@elec.gla.ac.uk>