Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:47:07 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Update on Lawsuit against Leonardo Arts Group

   From: "roger malina" <rmalina@prontomail.com>
   Date: Wed, May 9, 2001, 7:04 pm
   Leonardo Electronic Almanac                 VOLUME 9, NO. 2

   <Update on Lawsuit against Leonardo Arts Group >

   Roger Malina, Chair, Leonardo/ISAST. E-mail: < leo@mitpress.mit.edu >

   I regret to inform you that the lawsuit by Transasia against the non-profit
   arts group Leonardo has not yet been resolved and will not come to trial
   until late April 2001. The matter continues to consume large amounts of our
   energy and resources.

   Transasia and the venture capital group Leonardo Finance have sued
   Association Leonardo in France for a million dollars in damages, claiming
   lost business because search engines often retrieve our Web sites rather
   that theirs. Leonardo Finance claims to have obtained a French trademark
   recently on the word Leonardo, which we have now requested be overturned
   because of our prior use in the publication of the art journal Leonardo
   since 1967 (we note that a similar affair has been brought to a successful
   conclusion by the etoy art group).

   The trial was originally scheduled to be held in December 2000 but at the
   request of the litigants, Transasia, the trial was delayed because the
   litigants informed the judge that they were not ready to argue the case
   at that time.

   We note that the search engine www.google.com continues to list our Web sites
   high on their search.

   All e-mails received by Transasia and Leonardo Finance from supporters of the
   Leonardo network have been deposited as evidence with the judge by Leonardo
   Finance.

   Leonardo continues to solicit donations for its Leonardo Legal Defense
   Fund to allow us to successfully fight this absurd case.

   An auction of a donated work by pioneering art and technology artist Sonia
   Sheridan will be held at the end of March through ebay. Also to be
   auctioned on ebay are a hat and scarf knitted from wool shorn form the
   Leonardo Ram. The Leonardo Ram was named "Leonardo" by Harry Koenig in
   support of the Leonardo Legal Defense Fund. Further information on the
   ebay auction can be found on the Leonardo Legal Defense Fund site at:
    < http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/isast/lawsuit.html >