Amy Alexander on 26 Feb 2001 07:26:48 -0000

<nettime> Re: net art history - Interview Yourself!

Olia's right! Josephine's right! The critics are short on time, and
having them spend it doing interviews just creates a bunch of Art Stars
- it's essentially a whole new Art World created in the process of
trying to flee the old one... and look what we've got; overworked
critics, unhappy net artists... this won't do....

I propose a new approach, as part of the Plagiarist "New Millenium
Disorder" project: The Interview Yourself Project. Since it will
hopefully generate lots of interviews, the acronym will be the
"IY-IY-IY-IY-IY" Project. Everyone, please interview yourself, and post
your interview to the usual mailing lists; heck, I'll even make a whole
website for the archives if people submit them.

Think of the benefits... it subverts the Net Art World Institution, and
makes everyone a star.... or, uh, makes nobody a star, depending on how
you want to look at it... it finally gives the interviewees a chance to
answer the kinds of questions they *wish* they'd be asked about their
work... it gives us shy people who sometimes clam up with real
interviewers the chance to finally open up in an interview...  and, it
saves wear and tear on critics and journalists! Concerned that the tough
questions won't get asked? Not to worry; IY-IY-IY-IY-IY doesn't preclude
critics from doing interviews, just sort of er, open sources the
interview process. (I just love working "open source" in anywhere I can... )

So, hop to it everybody! (you too, critics!) you've got an interview to
prepare - History Awaits!

-@

olia lialina wrote:

Josephine Bosma wrote:

>err.... ascii paparazzi? Sorry dear Olia, this is too insulting to come
>from you. Anyway, the biggest problem net art journalists and observers
>have is that we are too few with too much to do.

Josephine, I don't underestimate your work. The paragraph you refer to is
full of love and respect. And I do enjoy interviews as a genre (I love
dialogues).

But it is a pity that interviews dominate the critics' output.

The interview approach cultivates stars, not ideas. And stars, especially
superstars, can be very lovely targets. You can pronounce them dead
whenever you like. Ideas live longer.

Interviews are easy to read. They catch a moment. They let future readers
touch the past. A picture develops. History's created. But it's a history
of artists' arrogance, self promotion, mood changes.