scotartt on 21 Dec 2000 23:58:03 -0000

Re: <nettime> spaciality of poetry

komninos,

Not sure how directly relevant it will be, but I wrote an article in the
journal Convergence (U of Luton Press, Luton UK), titled, "Audio Visual
Poetics in Interactive Multimedia" (winter 1997 vol 3 num 4). Although it
deal directly with technology not language it proposes a link from the
direct physical space which i termed the 'nearfield' (as opposed to the
cinematic sound 'superfield'), which obviously relates to the way we
experience those technologies, and the poetic space in the "back of the
head", if you like.  I explore that through the concept of 'ambience'; a
term which was used by Kevin Murray in the catalogue essay of the 'Burning
the interface' exhibition. Kevin meant it, (I think) as a type of marker ie
'ambient music' a la Eno, however I propose its actual a type of spatial
descriptor which I call the 'expanded ambience' (a "process of mapping,
marking or indicating an exterior terrain or space with sounds to produce
an interior [terrain or space]") and describes one type of poetic system
(which I believe to be endemic to the technology) that the computer artwork
uses or can use in its mediated space both physically and psychologically
(for want of a better term). It's about how technological works create
poetic meaning through their technological mechanisms, with special
attention to sound.

At one point in the catalogue essay Murray uses a poetry exemplar to
illustrate his point; he contrasts Keats as the 'ambient' poet to that of
Kant as the 'anti-ambient', however I take the position that both examples
as used map 'ambient' spaces, just different ones. I also draw on Michel
Chion's book 'Audio-Vision', specifically to draw contrast with the
operation of poetics in cinema through the 3D surround sound superfield and
those that operate in the nearfield environment of the computer screen. I
use as my media objects the works in the Burning the Interface exhibition
as I saw it at the MCA Sydney in 1996 or 1997.

regards
scot mcphee