Rachel Schreiber on 16 Dec 2000 19:39:19 -0000

Re: <nettime> This artwork degrades women.

I would like to thank Simon Penny for his post which I felt
eloquently represented the concerns of many of us who attended the
exhibition at the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux Arts in Paris
during the ISEA conference.

I would also like to say that Wayne Myers' response might be the most
childish reaction to serious criticism that I've seen in a long time.
A mailing list is a perfect forum to respond to a work of art, which
is not helpless or silent but has already had its chance to present
its opinion. If the artist would like to respond to Mr Penny's
criticism, he is free to do so. What I would really like to see is a
response from the ISEA curatorial team, to at least attempt to make
us understand the value they found in this piece.

Simon Penny's response to the work was not so much a way to stomp on
a work that a lot of people would never see, but rather a way to give
voice to the reactions felt by many that were there.

As for cyber- and other forms of feminism, they are not dead, despite
the attempts of the ISEA organizers to disenfranchise artists whose
work exhibits feminist and other political sensibilities. The reason
the cyberfeminists were not out in droves protesting the Brandt piece
is that they were crammed into a classroom, in that same building,
for over 5 hours at the wonderful FACES meeting organized by Kathy
Rae Huffman and Nathalie Magnan. Those of us present were lucky to
see (however brief) presentations of work by over 40 women artists,
many of whom applied to but did not make it onto the official ISEA
program. The Brandt piece came up, but the (limited) time was better
spent on presentations by the other artists, rather than discussing
the obvious misogyny evidenced downstairs.

My experience in Paris was that there was no lack of outrage
regarding Brandt's piece. Thanks again to Simon Penny for
articulating that outrage.

Rachel Schreiber
Maryland Institute, College of Art
Baltimore, Maryland, USA