Dave Dave on 14 Nov 2000 22:42:14 -0000

Re: <nettime> No Logo is a good Logo

There is nothing without sign value anymore.  Everything becomes a sign
for something else -- especially anti-signs.  The only way for a work of
art to maintain its integrity is to not exist.  Anything that does exist
becomes a commodity, to be used for other purposes. (Imagine wearing a
t-shirt with a picture of "No Logo" printed on it)

You cannot expect "No Logo" or anything else not to become part of a
cultural landscape.  Meaning is always co-opted.  Works of art invariably
becomes signs for something else.  You cannot keep a work of art
decontextualized.  Branding is not an activity reserved for big
corporations -- branding is anything an individual/entity does to
communicate identity.  If I read Naomi Klein on the tube, I'm branding
myself just as much as if I read Baseball Magazine or People Magazine or
Derrida.

Just because the content is "anti-corporate capitalist" does not mean it
will be consumed in that way.  By existing in a capitalist society, a text
becomes part of that society, and will be consumed -- used for individual
branding as much as individual enlightenment.

My point:

Perhaps your reaction to the popularity of "No Logo" is less a concern
over the integrity of Ms. Klein's message, and more a concern that the
branding element that made you unique (your "sympathy" for "anti-corporate
capitalist" beliefs) is now making you one of the Starbucks crowd.  Which
means the same argument can be made about you -- are you into "No Logo"
for what it says, or for what it says about you?

Dave

--- matt king <fabdude@ic24.net> wrote:
>Naomi (Calvin) Klein's book "No Logo", is being promoted rather
>heavily here in the UK, and perhaps globally. Her anti corporate
>capitalist stance is something I have strong sympathies with.

<....>