Frederick Noronha on 7 Nov 2000 03:55:37 -0000

<nettime> BytesforAll: Focus -- Linux at IT.Com

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/
_/  B y t e s   F o r   A l l ---  http://www.bytesforall.org
_/  Making  Computing  Relevant to the  People of  South Asia
_/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

   NOVEMBER 06, 2000 ISSUE * FOCUS: LINUX AT BANGALORE IT.COM
		Compiled by Frederick Noronha
To subscribe, mail fred@bytesforall.org with SUB BfA as subject
Talent-rich but resource-poor countries in South Asia cannot afford
highly-priced, copyright protected software. Software professionals have
argued that Open Source operating systems like GNU/Linux offer great potential
for this region. This special issue looks at some of the ideas emerging from
the Linux pavillion at the Bangalore IT.COM event held in this South Indian
city. We welcome your feedback to this issue. See contact details below.

*  IT WAS NICE to get a chance to be at the IT.COM show in Bangalore (held
from November 1 to 5 this year). As mentioned earlier, one entire
pavillion was devoted to Linux. It was ably headed by Atul Chitnis, Biju,
and others, with sponsorship from PC-QUEST, machines from IBM, etc.

* LINUX'S EXHIBITION THIS YEAR in Bangalore was themed 'Powered by Linux'.
There would be five separate segments, each manned by volunteers. These are:
(i) development (ii) home and multimedia (iii) web-development (iv) e-commerce
and (v) education powered by Linux. It was great to see the young engineering
students, mainly from the newly-formed Vishwesaraya Technological University
(VTU) of Karnataka, working so hard and explaining patiently to visitors about
the power of the 'free OS'.

* AT THE stalls, a whole lot of interesting demos were put up by Bangalore
Luggers (Linux group members). But there were also participants from Nagpur,
Calcutta, Delhi and ... of course, a small team from Goa.

* ON THE EDUCATION SECTION, Siddhart S (20) of the PES IT Bangalore -- a third
year mechanical engineering student -- demonstrated Open Source software like
DrGeo (for Maths), xplanets (for understanding inter-planetary geography),
and applications that showed periodic tables.

* KARTIK N, a student of RV's Final Year Electronics, was showing off the
power of Open Source matehmatical pacakges like Rlab, Scilab and Octave.
There was mention of PCB-design software. Other students showed typing tutors
like Tux... which had a penguin gobbling up alphabets.

* GOA ILUG members kept pushing the idea that what was badly needed now was
an easily-accessible CD full of useful Linux/GNU packages for students at the
school-level. Some Bangalore ILUGers suggested sites like linuxforkids.com and
openclassroom.

* OTHER LINUX fans were showcasing the power of 3D animation and rendering
through Linux tools (http://www.blender.nl). This application can be used for
TV commercials, animations, or cartoons.

* IT WAS A PLEASANT experience to meet Nagpur-based Swati Sani,
paedetrician-turned-software guru Dr Tarique Sani and their three-year-old
Aasim, who slept peacefully least-suspecting his dad was joking that he was