Douglas Rushkoff on 23 Sep 2000 14:42:55 -0000

Re: <nettime> Chinese Torture, Olympic Style

Fascinated analysis you've forwarded, Josh --
It makes me remember how we used to watch the Olympics back in the 60's. The
whole idea of the contests was to pit two systems of government against each
other: Russia vs. US, or East meets West.

It was if, as a nation, we were trying to prove that 'love of sport' in a
free society would produce better athletes than the sort of forced
athleticism imposed by a regime. Peggy Flemming and Mark Spitz personified
the American Amateur against the commie machine.

But, back then, the Cold War made for good TV.