Douglas Rushkoff on 19 Sep 2000 20:32:47 -0000

Re: <nettime> This Is Your Brain on Napster

This sounded so unreal that I went over the Reuters site to confirm you
weren't being hoodwinked.  And it's true: Operation Sundevil, on a CONTENT
level.

Of course, the much much easier way for the RIAA to thwart Napster or
Gnutella would be for them to post thousands of dummy songs to servers
spread out across the Internet, with fake titles. Or even commercials,
titled like songs.

If they fill the space with junk, everyone will go away. It's a strategy
that appears to be working with the web, anyway...

> Monday September 18 5:29 PM ET
> Oklahoma Student May Face Music Download Charges
>
> OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - An Oklahoma State University student could face
> criminal charges of copyright infringement after police found as many as
> 1,000 Internet music files on his computer, campus police said on Monday.

<...>