Heiko Recktenwald on 9 Sep 2000 15:18:39 -0000

Re: <nettime> Hacktivisme artistique (fwd)

To see whats happening:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 02:05:35 +0200
From: fran ilich <ilich_030@hotmail.com>
To: Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Hacktivisme artistique

From: "Heiko Recktenwald" <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>

>Dear Fran, could you explain the idea behind borderhack ?

penetrate the border with a borderline mind set. the border isn´t as real,
as when you are inside the border or as close to the border as you can get.
even worse, the border isnt as thick as when you´re already past it, because
then you can see that even if you see the border somewhere at your back, you
see that the system has lots of protection files that aren´t that easier to
update, because they´re configured to read the border, so they re constantly
causing failures and fatal exemptions to the machine. files and bytes get
lost in the transaction. tension causing riots in the actual hard drive.

what we are looking is to actually find out why?

>To me, borders are part of a system,

but you know, not everyone likes the eversystem. there are lots of
programmers open sourcing.

>where we have different states, and
>states are garanteeing freedom, democracy etc, at least >in europe...

thats great, but i really dont like windows. i know everything works better
if you only use microsoft on your machine, but you know how it is...

>Maybe I am oversimplifying things, but whats with social >security systems,
>schools etc, if all borders are open ?

we can always get patches somewhere, have you tried searchin
astalavista..... i dont know, even windows has been written upon tons of bad
code..... you know, i know the desktop looks really cool, but there are
things in the back causing conflict, i mean, just look at the mess in the
temp directorys. people could really economize a lot of resources if they
just took the time.

>Maybe the situation in Mexico (or Polonia etc..) is too >bad to think about
>things like this, but to me, hacking the borders is like >destroying states

maybe, but you know, not for me. and then again, im not sure what you
understand by hacking, but you know, hacking is not destroying. hacking is
done to get to know better the system, and actually if im not wrong, the
system its always repared by person who understand the system. im not saying
we do, but is it that bad to try to learn?

>and this *is* neoliberalism.
>What did I overlook ?

maybe that i didnt write the piece, and that it was written by another
person? a writer from liberation..... =)

nos vemos en el futuro.
ilich.

http://www.neuroticos.com/borderhack