geert lovink on 1 Sep 2000 15:45:57 -0000

<nettime> Ars Electronica and its political context

Dear nettimers,

below you will find three letters. It comes from a private correspondence
from spring 2000 between a group of new media artists, curators and critics,
concerned with the cultural policies of the nationalism and particularly the
Haider regime in Austria and Gerfried Stocker,the director of the Ars
Electronica Festival which will be opened in Linz, Austria in a few days
from now. The initiative, coordinated by the New York critic Timothy
Druckrey, felt that the choice of yet another bio science topic, "Next Sex",
could easily be used to distract from the uneasy political questions which
have been raised ever since the Freedom party was taken aboard in the
government.

Will Ars Electronica remain silent and pretend there is not going on? How do
racist policies, directly or indirectly, effect Europe's biggest electronic
arts festival? What is clean and healthy new media arts according to the
rightist rulers in Vienna? Why does Public Netbase have to be closed down?
How many compromises is Ars Electronica willing to make? These topics, and
many more, will for sure be debated in Linz over the next week in a last
minute initiative that has appeared at Ars called Free Speech. We know that
Free Speech can be both productive discourse and a convenient veil. Yet we
also know that an open mike and a free speech camp is not the solution to
the politics of inaction, but can be a call to action. We hope that lists
such as nettime, syndicate, rhizome and others will actively follow what is
going and contribute to the debate online. This correspondence underneath
died somewhere in April. What the silence of Gerfried Stocker after the
second letter of the initiative means (or may not mean), you can judge for
yourself. We thought this was the appropriate time to publish it and look
forward to a lively (online) debate about Ars Electronia and its relation to
cultural policies and new media in Austria.

Timothy Druckrey
Geert Lovink

ps. the names of the 18 others who signed the two letters are not a secret,
we just had not approached them individually, yet found it necessary, at
this stage, just before the opening of the festival, to publish this
correspondance. We thought it was fair they would agree first before the
list is going out.

----